Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Mule Deer and hot weather in Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Bronze Member

Mule Deer and hot weather in Wyoming

I will be hunting mule deer for the firs time near Buffalo Wyoming opening day this saturday and the temp will be highs in mid 80s. I know thats too hot for whitetails in the east, but just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers and maybe some of your experiences in hot weather mule deer hunting.
Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mule Deer and hot weather in Wyoming

you'll have 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night. The rest of the time you will have to bird dog them out of there beds..
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

They'll be bedding in shady area's and north facing slopes. Under sagebrush/trees and cutbanks. Most hot weather muley hunting I've done required alot of walking and jumping them out of their beds. In my experience, they don't bed where they can be seen, so short to mid range shots are what you get. I've seen em jump from 400 yds away to as close as 3-5 yds away.

Not so much long range "range and dial" type of stuff, because when they get jumped out of a bed, they aren't usually hanging around very long. A running shot might be all you get, or they sometimes will stop just before going out of sight for one last look back. The distance they stop at might be 400 yds, it might be 800 yds.? If they haven't smelled you or directly seen you, they might stop at a closer distance.

Since you mentioned opening day, you might have some luck catching them moving up until mid morning, they get pushed around alot on opening day in my experience.

Good Luck, it's fun no matter how we do it.

Last edited by SBruce; 09-27-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Grew up hunting Blacktail in the coast range of California and a normal day there during the season is 80-100 degrees. I hunt Mule deer exactly the same way as I did Blacktail back then and have been very successful. If your hunting where the bucks are what you will notice is they are to their beds sooner (they spend less time eating during the summer and early fall as they arenít fighting the cold) and donít move quite as much in the heat of the day. Donít over look south facing slopes as bedding areas. The sun this time of year is getting to the south and there is a lot of shade on south slopes and the springs run later as there is no timber to suck up the water.

The moon will be in your favor as its new today. If you hunt where other hunters arenít you can jump shoot bucks all day. Good luck.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thank You for your advice, I feel a little better about my chances to get a nice deer. We also have antelope tags so im sure we will have a great time.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I just got back on Monday from hunting in Buffalo last week. Two of us filled our tags with three good Antelope. We also thinned out some whitetail does. Great place for some good long range shooting. Not much wind in this part of Wyoming. Two other hunters in camp scored on a good mulie and an antelope each with bows. Could not hunt mulies with a gun last week but saw a lot of good shooters. The antelope were out and moving all day. Mule deer bucks were out in numbers first and last two hours of the day. Mornings were 30-40 degrees, ,75-85 degrees mid day. Didn't deter the mulies, or whitetails at all. My first time there and a fabulous place to hunt!

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Just did a mulie hunt in warm temps. The deer were bedding a lot earlier than normal. By 8:30am, most were down. We spent the rest of the morning sitting high spots looking into timber trying to find bedded deer. They came out just before dark in the evenings. Way too much time to kill during the day...