Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Montana or Wyoming mule deer hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Montana or Wyoming mule deer hunting

I have no desire to shoot a doe... A long ways away for a doe. I've never heard of blue tongue... hmmmm Thank you for all of that info!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Living in Ohio I admit I do not keep up with mule deer numbers nationwide. I do know there is a need for doe tags when it comes to whitetails. I've always felt that the overall number of mule deer does not justify hunting the does anywhere. You guys out west I'm sure will disagree with that, but keep in mind I'm only comparing overall whitetail #s to muley #s.

I've heard of hunters taking mule deer does and I always feel disappointed. I'm sure I'm off base but I've hunted out west for years. I never see the number of mule deer like I see whitetails on this end of the country.

Should I change my thinking?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Bronze Member

I am a DIY hunter from WA that hunts Montana about every three years or so. I go to the east side for Antelope and Mule deer. Before i went the first time I did TONS of research and racked up lots of long distance bills but this was way before the interweb came into the picture. I can honestly say i have had better then 80% success on both over the years some years we hit the Mule deer right and others we do antelope. This coming fall i am taking my 13 yr old daughter for the first time to Montana provided we get drawn for Antelope. Put your research in if u want to PM me i can give u the ranchers name i hunt on there he has ALOT of acreage. His only stipulation is family hunts only the first three days and i am good with that the last time i went there were 2 family members hunting for the first day till noon he called me and it was all ours never saw another truck hunter or anything and he lets me camp on his land with my camper so all is good. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Bronze Member

pm's returned.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Living in Ohio I admit I do not keep up with mule deer numbers nationwide. I do know there is a need for doe tags when it comes to whitetails. I've always felt that the overall number of mule deer does not justify hunting the does anywhere. You guys out west I'm sure will disagree with that, but keep in mind I'm only comparing overall whitetail #s to muley #s.

I've heard of hunters taking mule deer does and I always feel disappointed. I'm sure I'm off base but I've hunted out west for years. I never see the number of mule deer like I see whitetails on this end of the country.

Should I change my thinking?
I would say this is because out west they can't support the numbers we have in the midwest, simply not enough available food year round
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

Tikkamike is from Wyoming and says you should hunt in Montana. I'm from Montana and say you should hunt in Wyoming.

If we were professional outfitters, our recommendations might be different.

Have you considered Canada???