Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Montana Non Resident Deer Tags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Montana Non Resident Deer Tags

I heard that Montana is uping the cost of a non resident tag deer tag to 500 dollars. Does anyone know if they will also issue more non resident deer tag? Happy New Yr.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: Montana Non Resident Deer Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
I heard that Montana is uping the cost of a non resident tag deer tag to 500 dollars. Does anyone know if they will also issue more non resident deer tag? Happy New Yr.
nothing cast in stone yet. Montana voters foolishly passed the legislation that got rid of outfitter sponsored tags, so the FWP has no idea what to charge residents and non-residents, but rest assured, it will be MUCH higher.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

The total number will remain the same but there will be not special guaranteed outfitter tags so everyone from out of state will be in the same pool, I forget what the cost will go up to, it is laid out clearly in the legislation, still not bad considering other Western states. Something had to give in MT, the outfitter situation in some areas are flat ridiculous and they are doing as much or more damage than the wolves!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info guys. Big green if they do away with the outfitter tags will those that were alloted for them go into the general pool? Do you know if they are still going to have the Landowner sponsor? Last tme I checked it was about a 30 % chance of drawing a non res. tag. Good luck and thanks again
Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't looked at what is going on for a few months so I really need to get back at it to find the details. From what I know the outfitter sponsored tags will roll over into one general draw, so same number of tags just no guaranteed tags. Just like the resident tags! I haven't looked into what if any changes were made with the landowner tags so not sure there.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

bigngreen you are an idiot by getting rid of outfitter tags did nothing but raise tag prices for all and it will put a lot of hard working people and small town businesses and dam good outfitters out of business in montana and if you think it will give hunters more tags your nuts or open privet property for hunting
Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull320 View Post
bigngreen you are an idiot by getting rid of outfitter tags did nothing but raise tag prices for all and it will put a lot of hard working people and small town businesses and dam good outfitters out of business in montana and if you think it will give hunters more tags your nuts or open privet property for hunting

Smooth dude!!! Actually my wife and several family work for outfitters, I spend quite a bit of time with outfitters, I was going back and forth on it till in a conversation about it they said they could careless, they do a good business and get clients based on a solid reputation. The only outfitters that I know of that were freaking out about it was the exact ones that need to go under, they use guaranteed tags to rape an area with no management in mind, selling the tags of with no intentions of guiding the hunters creating a free for all for anyone who can meet their price! This will benefit the out of state hunters as well, now the outfitters that are doing good work will prosper making your hunts higher quality, the losers will sell of to people who are willing to do the work to make a successful go of it which will actually boost the local economy.