Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Montana Mule Buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Montana Mule Buck

Spent the last 4 days hunting my mule deer tag. Left home on Tues. First day saw some average to below average bucks, and spent some time learning the area. Second day brought alot of walking and learning where I really didn't want to expend any effort in returning to hunt there. Day 3 to me back to the original area hunted on the first day, saw a couple 180" framed bucks, one had great backs and crab claw fronts, the other had the opposite, great fronts and terrible backs, two tags, a hacksaw and some super glue and I could have made one hell of a buck between the two! spotting scope photo of the buck with good backs.

That evening i was glassing a couple does and a below average 4 point feeding in a small saddle when out of the corner of my eye I saw the shape of a mule deer rack frame right next to a large mahogany bush above a ledge. I wrote it off as a bush, too large and I'm not lucky enough for it to be a deer. Gave it a minute and glanced at it a little harder, just to humor myself at the large bush i was looking at I threw thr glass up on it, I immediately started loosing control of my muscles! my body was shaking profusly when I saw this so called bush in my mind looking back at me. This is the photo through the spotter, doesn't do him justice.

After my initial reaction, I sarted picking the buck apart and talking myself out of shooting him, comparing ears to forks, beams, etc. I decided that he needed to stand up so I could see how everything proportioned. A few minutes later he did, stretched his back, and wiggled his tail, I decided he was worth missing whatever opportunity colder weather and the rut might bring and sent a 300gr Berger being directed by my 338 Edge high through his shoulder at 190 yards. Talk about an exit hole, about 7 inches in diameter, any further forward and the taxidermist would have had his work cut out for him. Went in the next moring with a friends help to retrieve him. Got pics taken and congratulations said and headed to a friends taxidermy shop to get an accurate official score. He goes 188 even. I started this hunt with over zealous hopes of 190 or better, two inches off of that mark at 188 is extremely satisfying, and I feel very fortunate for what I got. Thanks to Broz for helping me get the Edge tuned up with only a couple weeks to do it before season.

Last edited by bearpaw; 10-28-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: photo sizing
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Montana Mule Buck

Awesome Buck! Ill be outside of Hulett, WY the 30th-5th looking for the same! Again, awesome buck!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Bronze Member

Man, that's a nice buck, good choice on shooting him! Congratulations.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Nice buck! I like those thick beams, we get spindly horned mulies for the most part. I found out earlier the 300gr Bergers are a much longer range bullet than 300yrds when I cratered an antelope to see what they did, they do have some authority though.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

As the young guys would say "Sweet"....This old guy says "Awesomely sweet"...
Congrats on a fine buck,
Randy
Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Awesome Buck! Ill be outside of Hulett, WY the 30th-5th looking for the same! Again, awesome buck!
Deep forks in the front, fronts make up 65% of your score, fronts are key. Hope you get a slammer! lookin forward to your pics.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Great buck! Thanks for sharing