Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Montana Deer hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Montana Deer hunters

Thanks guys for posting the info. I have the option of hunting in th south eastern part near Baker MT. Are the deer in this area as bad as the other regions to the North?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
Thanks guys for posting the info. I have the option of hunting in th south eastern part near Baker MT. Are the deer in this area as bad as the other regions to the North?

Pull up the state department of natural resources pages. They have reported the deer die-off was especially bad in the traditional eastern Montana whitetail areas. For that reason I nixed my plans for an eastern Montana whitetail hunt this year. Looks like I'm headed to Idaho.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewest View Post
I don't mean to put any water on your fire - but YES the area around Baker is as bad or worse than farther North. I've hunted 20 miles out of Baker on a couple of ranches for the last 30 years and it's pretty bad. The deer, antelope and turkeys really took a bad hit. About the only thing that I saw positive last fall was that the grouse seemed to be better than I have ever seen it.

When I say things are bad - it wasn't uncommon to see many many antelope in a day. Now if you see 10 a day your lucky. In talking to the local school bus driver he says that he's never seen it this bad in his life time.

The good news is that we have had as nice of winter up here as I've seen the last 30 years and mother nature has a way of replenishing the wildlife - now if our G&F will wise up and cut back on the number of tags and shut down the anterless tags on deer and antelope maybe in a few years we'll have some game again, weather permitting.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

From what I have learned from many of the ranchers I talk to, and to others, the majority of eastern Montana was hard hit with a few bad winters and EHD. There are better numbers of deer to the south along the Wyoming line, and to the west of Miles City. There is some block management in the Broadus area, however most of the really productive land is leased out by outfitters. They are in the process of doing antelope surveys now, so I'll know more in a few weeks.

Scott
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeitner View Post
From what I have learned from many of the ranchers I talk to, and to others, the majority of eastern Montana was hard hit with a few bad winters and EHD. There are better numbers of deer to the south along the Wyoming line, and to the west of Miles City. There is some block management in the Broadus area, however most of the really productive land is leased out by outfitters. They are in the process of doing antelope surveys now, so I'll know more in a few weeks.

Scott
+1 on that. If you can get real close to the WY boarder the mulies are as plentiful as usual, but the farther north you go, the worse it gets. The western half of the state is pretty spotty. The areas that haven't been pounded by wolves are still good, but the wolf infested areas aren't what they once were.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

when threejones said close to wyoming he meant it. Twenty miles north the wildlife population dwindles fast- now if the F&G could figure that out there might be something to hunt in 3 or 4 years