Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Montana Deer hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Montana Deer hunters

Curious on the topic of Deer populations and reports from multiple sources that mention if you are looking for trophy quality deer to avoid Montana. I would rather here from members that actually live there or hunt Montana often. I'm debating on putting in for my tags in Montana this year. Or better yet if your a resident and want to prove this wrong and let me hunt with you I will take one for the team as your guinea pig.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Montana Deer hunters

You will have to hunt hard or maybe get a special area tag for a 200" muley. But there are some good bucks here. Not the ultra wides like you see in NM but good deer in the 160 ~180's.

My son and I too these two last season the same day. We were happy. I would hunt the last week of season if you want bigger horns.

Jeff

Old 03-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Bronze Member

Some people might not consider these "trophies" but they are above average for this area. Also, the would have been state record typical mulie was shot about 25 miles from where Im sitting right now. I say "would have been" because it was poached and is now property of FWP.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome brutes!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Awesome brutes!
+1...and then some!
To stick with the original subject, I was in Missoula last September. The locals I spoke with were saying how the wolves have the elk numbers way down in the area. Is it the same for deer?

Broz,
A 160-180" deer would be a deer of a lifetime to a lot of us. Those are some dandies.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

i can speak to the areas of south central and north east.
very tough winter, LOT'S of snow, and way to many "over the counter" doe tags have depleted the Mule deer, and "blue tounge" wiped out the white tail along the hi-line.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
SPONSOR

I would avoid the whole entire Northeast quadrant of the state. Two severe winters combined with a horrible EHD outbreak this past summer/early fall really put a hurt on the deer. I expect it will take 5 years or more for the deer to bounce back in that region. That is if they get some mild winters and no more EHD, which might be asking too much. I just drove between Havre and Chinook last Sunday morning at first light and didn't see a single deer. A month ago I drove all the way between Havre and Malta at first light and saw a grand total of 5 whitetail deer. Normally one would see deer in the hundreds this time of year. It's terrible!