Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

mexico whitetails, what sub-species?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

mexico whitetails, what sub-species?

A couple years ago I wet to centeral mexico (Nayarit) with some employees of mine that are migerant workers. They invited me to come home with them over the winter to do some hunting and vacationing (rural mexico style).
It was a great time. I was able to harvest multiple whitetail, Javelina, Chilachaca (big bird), bobcat and coitti.
The whitetail down there were very small...a large buck was maybe 100 lbs on the hoof..maybe. A doe more like 60 lbs. I was wondering what sub-species of whitetail they are? Everyone wants to tell me they were Couse deer, and maybe they were but I don't think so. People don't realize how far down in mexico I was, and it was more of a semi-dry rain forest than typical Couse deer scrub. Also the antlers were not a compact as Couse deer I have seen elsewhere and the body size was far smaller than Couse deer in Arizona. They were perfect miniature whitetails like I have here in WA.
I read in Jack O'Conner's book about what he caller "Sinaloan Whitetail" in mexico and Sinaloa is the next state over so I figure that must be them.
Just curious if anyone could lay this question to rest for me? Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: mexico whitetails, what sub-species?

I´ve hunted the area before, and odicoileus virginianus sinaloe is the most commmon.

with the exception of the north part of the country that has odicoileus carmensis and big texan whitetail deer, the rest of the species here in México are smaller than the coues deer.

there are parts of the country where you can find carmensis way bigger than the texan whitetail deer.(zacatecas, coahuila, chihuhua) these are mainly desert deer.

chachalaca Chachalaca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and coati Coati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw here in Mexico we also have some of the smallest species of whitetails... and are a nice challenge... normal habitat for these WT is the jungle...

JOE