Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Louisiana Whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Louisiana Whitetail

And now you have some protein of your own.. Nice buck, congrats!

Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZelenka View Post
The three bucks that were taken off of that place last year all went over 210 lbs. These aren't swamp deer, that particular place is a 3600 acre soybean farm that is about 1/3 CRP. They get plenty of protein.
Good to know, because I may get the chance to hunt down there someday.

I wondered because when I hunted in Texas there was not a deer taken that went over 200 pounds.

Thanks for the info, and congrats again.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Great buck congrats.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The three bucks that were taken off of that place last year all went over 210 lbs. These aren't swamp deer, that particular place is a 3600 acre soybean farm that is about 1/3 CRP. They get plenty of protein.
I know exactly what you are talking about! Deer over here in NW Louisana have lots of mass an size thanks to soybean fields!!! 200plus pounds also!! Great Buck!!!! Really,Really Nice!!! Congrats!!!

DT
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about! Deer over here in NW Louisana have lots of mass an size thanks to soybean fields!!! 200plus pounds also!! Great Buck!!!! Really,Really Nice!!! Congrats!!!

DT
This was in Concordia Parish about 5 miles west of the Mississippi River. I killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point last year in East Carroll Parish on the Mississippi River that weighed 215 lbs and measured 124" gross. But for the fact that he was my first buck with a bow, I probably would have passed. I was surprised he was only 2 1/2 from his size though.

20 days til Louisiana bow season opens.

Dan
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
This was in Concordia Parish about 5 miles west of the Mississippi River. I killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point last year in East Carroll Parish on the Mississippi River that weighed 215 lbs and measured 124" gross. But for the fact that he was my first buck with a bow, I probably would have passed. I was surprised he was only 2 1/2 from his size though.

20 days til Louisiana bow season opens.

Dan
Dan! I know exactly where you are hunting. I had a friend that lived in Oak Grove! I've hunted in northeast louisana. I'm on the other side of the state from ya (around shreveport) however I think you will agree that those river bottom deer get pretty big! I think you know what I'm talking about!!! Good hunting to ya!!

DT
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Nice Buck. Louisiana is starting to have more and bigger bucks each year. I live in Mississippi, but spend half my life in south Louisiana working offshore. Good Luck on this up coming season.