Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

lets hear it pa boys,howd ya do"ridge to ridge"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

lets hear it pa boys,howd ya do"ridge to ridge"?

i took a nice 9 point the first day (treestand).we took a descent 7 point @ 550 first saturday. glassed 1 legal buck and 2 pretty good ones throughout the season , and for various reasons never presented us with a clean shot. we were also very pleasd with the amount of does we were seing.how about you guys. better luck than us?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: lets hear it pa boys,howd ya do"ridge to ridge"?

not from pa, but pretty close (wv) took a shooter buck (4.5 yo 7 point) at 307, does at 702, and 1,350 yds, got 4 more days of doe season starting x-mas eve.
RR
Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

I took this buck the first Tuesday with one shot at 650 yards.Watched this buck go about his daily business for the better part of two weeks.He would leave the corn fields in the valley below where I set up every morning between 6:45 and 6:55 a.m..He was there on time sunday before season.Then Monday he was a no show.Poached I thought.Saw 5 racked bucks monday out of 27 deer.Back at her tuesday.Tuesday morning again a no show.Glassed the mountain and valley all day.19 deer with two nice bucks mixed in.Then at 4 oclock I spun my glasses to my right to glass a small patch of woods about 50 feet square and there he was standing.Was probably there monday also...Just never thought of looking there.Got a range put the clicks on the scope and the rest is history

Last edited by Boyd Heaton; 12-19-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 AM
PUBLISHER

Congrats, you PA boys. I envy you your hunting territory. Really looks fun to hunt.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-24-2008, 06:17 PM
SPONSOR

Hey Boyd, haven't heard from you in quite a while, thought maybe you fell in a deep hole and couldn't get out. That's a nice deer, did you get that with the .300 WSM or the 6.5 Heaton? That buck sure looks like one I've been seeing cross the road by the river bridge where you and I went bear hunting several years ago. Am I correct? If so that's a pretty steep downhill shot to the valley. Congrats again. Did Jenna get out hunting with you?

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

darryl tells me ive met boyd heaton, but i cant rember.
now i can put a face to the name.
nice buck boyd. hopefully we'll meet again.

KEVIN we didnt hookup either. i saw your gang up in the hollow at the big rock. they were banging away up there. guess it was second monday. we can see that from our yard. with snow we can shoot at that from across the road. but hell its about a mile or more, and we cant shoot as good as you. i didnt leave camp much. i was gunshy about the icy roads. the boys killed 2 and missed 4 or 5. a 12 year old did most of the shooting. finally got his first buck. about 850 w/ the 30/378. a happy kid. im told john didnt make it due to surgery. fill me in . merry xmas to all, ernie
Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 PM
SPONSOR

HI Ernie,
I was at camp that day but a buddy and I were hunting out of Watertrough, the back side of Smith. 2 of the shots you heard that day were from me and my friend John. 2 shots 2 deer. Both called head shots, 1 at 600 and 1 at 750. We were done at drinking beer at Wee Bulls my noon. I have some video and pics after Christmas I'll try to get on. I do have a photo of the buck I killed the first week under "745 PA Buck". Talk to you later.

www.mcrifles.com