Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Idaho unit 76 etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Idaho unit 76 etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
With just a general tag there can be some decent hunting in unit 39. My experience from 10 or so years ago the country between the Middle and South Fork of the Boise River specifically around Sheep mountain above Alexander Flats can be exceptional if it has been snowing for a couple weeks or so and the migration has started out of the backcountry. They seem to hold their till heavy snow shoves them on down.

Also in 39 the head waters of the North Fork of the Boise River if the weather is fair. It can be accessed from the Gram trailhead. 4WD is mandatory and carry chains and shovels.

In unit 35 the Ten Mile drainage is another migration route and under the right conditions can be really good. The Ten Mile trailhead is a few miles above Lowman off to the right when heading towards Stanley. It takes weather but there are a few resident deer and elk especially high toward Grandjean.

Horses would be a big plus as the country is big but with weather the last couple weeks of the season day hunts can be quite rewarding.

This is secret stuff :-) My signature picture was taken just above the Gram trailhead at the top of Johnson Creek.
Am I right in assuming that if we hunt in mid-late October, it will be before significant snowfall starts which drives the deer down to lower elevations? Therefore, if we come in that time frame we'll need to plan on hunting high?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably try the central region. Maybe try to draw a unit 44 hunt.(lots of luck for a non-resident, huh!)
BTW, thanks for the book recommendation, I have it on order.

I hope to glean some more "local wisdom" as far as terrain to hunt, ridge tops vs. creek bottoms, timber vs open, elevation, north or south slope etc. I've never hunted mulies but there is a big difference from our big woods eastern whitetails, if for no other reason than terrain.

I'm kind of lost as far as terrain type to seek out. Any pointers would be appreciated! Heck, I gotta start somewhere!
Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

The draw hunt for unit 44 is a early hunt and if you want to hunt early the back country in 39 should not be overlooked. Horses are a real plus in either unit.

If looking for a good head then either the black powder or rifle in unit 45. The Nov draw hunts in unit 18 & 22 are good choices anywhere on the west slopes above the Snake River. In November the weather can blow you right out of there.

Pick a unit, do the home work, go hunt, and in 30 years you will have it wired. I think nonresidents get 10% of the tags. Not sure???

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
The draw hunt for unit 44 is a early hunt and if you want to hunt early the back country in 39 should not be overlooked. Horses are a real plus in either unit.

If looking for a good head then either the black powder or rifle in unit 45. The Nov draw hunts in unit 18 & 22 are good choices anywhere on the west slopes above the Snake River. In November the weather can blow you right out of there.

Pick a unit, do the home work, go hunt, and in 30 years you will have it wired. I think nonresidents get 10% of the tags. Not sure???
30 years? LOL! That's where YOU come in!
Right now I think I'd apply for the draw in 44 or 39. Unlikely I'd draw but who knows? If that doesn't pan out then I suppose the general hunt in 39,43, or 48.
Horses are not an option, coming from NC. I'll have to hunt on foot. Backpacking in is a possibility, just depends on who comes with me.

Probably mid-October would be my choice(other than the early draw hunts) just because I suspect the weather can get pretty iffy by early Nov.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I do appreciate your imput. You've been a big help so far.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

I drew an area 44 deer tag this year. Had very limited time to hunt. Almost did not even go. My cousin talked me into it. I shot the first buck I seen which was a decent 4 point. Deer hunting in Idaho is very poor due to poor management and wolves. If you want to hunt the west for mulies, I would consider Colorado and Utah. I have also seen huge mulies around Bishop, CA.
Good luck,
Kirk
Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
I drew an area 44 deer tag this year. Had very limited time to hunt. Almost did not even go. My cousin talked me into it. I shot the first buck I seen which was a decent 4 point. Deer hunting in Idaho is very poor due to poor management and wolves. If you want to hunt the west for mulies, I would consider Colorado and Utah. I have also seen huge mulies around Bishop, CA.
Good luck,
Kirk
So maybe I'll buy a wolf tag!
Sounds like the problem we have in NC with whitetails. Very little meaningful habitat management and coyotes instead of wolves.
Lord willing and I'm able to make this trip, I'll definately buy a wolf tag.

So it appears units 44, 43, 48, 39 all have documented wolf pack populations. I'm not necessarily looking for a 180-200" monster(although that would be nice) just a respectable buck. May even backpack in a few days. So...

Are you saying it isn't worth the trip? Even though you drew a Unit 44 tag, which apparently is in high demand, and managed to shoot a buck right off?

Thanks for your input.