Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Idaho hunters...info?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Idaho hunters...info?

I've lived in Idaho a ton of years and still have difficulty with their rules.

Their web site appears to be still down......

I purchase an antlered deer tag and hunt anywhere in the state.

These are "open hunt" tags.

Controlled hunts require a tag specific to that hunt.

Hell, if you want to kill a buck, any of us Idahoans can point you to a mountain or area and say go for it and you'll more than likely get a shot.

My back yard has mule deer, white tails and an infrequent woof.

If you want an outdoor hunting experience with really big mountains, not long hikes, a mile from a road is plenty good most times.

Coming out here as a newbie a bit risky, in several ways, its a ton different than your area.

The reason I asked your location is that I have an interest in Morganton.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Well if your not after a trophy then you can probably get a chance at a buck in 39 and 43 but don't be surprised if you don't see very many deer per day. You'd have less hunting pressure in places harder to get at like where you have to cross a river or reservoir. If you brought waders crossing a river is generally fairly easy that time of year. Or a place with no roads or trails and high elevation.

I don't know 36A but I have friends that have hunted there. It's a controlled hunt to make people hunt just that unit. Sometimes we get weather and it pushes the deer and elk down early and makes them easy to get to. Other times its tough hunting. With a general tag we can hunt all over the state and if was a general tag area the people tend to flock to those areas when the weather makes it easier to take game. Making it a unlimited controlled hunt takes possibilities away from hunters going elsewhere so they typically get less people hunting that area.

There are also some good areas in SE Idaho for deer and some good drawings. It's closer to SLC also. Most of the mountains aren't as steep and the elevation change from the valley floor to the highest mountains isn't as much.

Basically fish and game wants your money but doesn't want you to kill anything unless they are getting complaints from farmers. It their way of covering their ass for poor deer management the last 20 years and now that wolves are here, and doing what way too many wolves do, they cant keep lying about it when hunter success rates reflect the truth. They did make it rather hard to find that info on their new website now though.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I've lived in Idaho a ton of years and still have difficulty with their rules.

Their web site appears to be still down......

I purchase an antlered deer tag and hunt anywhere in the state.

These are "open hunt" tags.

Controlled hunts require a tag specific to that hunt.

Coming out here as a newbie a bit risky, in several ways, its a ton different than your area.

The reason I asked your location is that I have an interest in Morganton.
Just checked the site again. The non-resident application just has deer tag. It does not specify an area. For some reason I was under the impression the tags were hunt unit specific. I know that to be the case for controlled hunts. I'll continue to verify this.

What do you mean by bold sentence above? What risks specifically? I want all the info I can get.

I've spent a lot of time in Morganton. I have some friends over there. It's about 1 1/2 hr drive.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

I grew up in western PA hunting white tails until 1964. It took me a lot of years to get over white tailitus. That is looking here when I should have been looking way over there.

Also I was used to the buck sticking close to does. Missed plenty of shot chances by becoming locked on to watching does when the buck was over on the adjacent side hill.

As to risk. Its very easy within a few 100 yards to make a decision that will end one up in a completely different drainage. You'll miss a ridge and come down to where you think you want to be but be miles from your intended spot.

Also more than a couple of miles from where you started, have an accident that impedes your ability to navigate, you could be in big trouble.

Then for the hunting part. You can shoot a buck just about any where if you can cover enough ground fast enough to increase the odds of crossing paths with one.

A lot of time can be unproductively spent doing with some would call scouting. The secret to scouting is to know where to start scouting.

Let's switch to email or PM and swap some locations on Google Earth. I'll show you some places that may trip your trigger.

All ya need is a decent heads up.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for taking the time. I'll send you a PM with an area of interest I've looked at.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Not all areas of the state have general hunts also, some are LE only, but a General tag is good in all the areas that have general hunts. Elk are area specific.

I would generalize that working hard for a week, you should expect 100% chance on 3pt buck, 50% chance on small 4pt up to 140", and less than 5% chance on 160" or bigger. This may be high for your first year, but the nice thing is you can hunt here every year. That is the beauty of our system.

You will want to hunt the last week of the general season instead of the opening week if you are not scouting over the summer. Hope for weather to move them. Many areas have concurrent elk hunts, or when deer closes then elk opens.

I have hunted general in units 10a, 23, 24, 32, 32a, 39, 43, and 73 since moving here in 04. They all have their pluses and minuses but the one constant. They all have opportunity but your odd's increase with knowledge of the area over time and effort. I have been on LE hunts in units 32, 40, 44, and 45 for deer and 40, 44, and 51 for elk. They all increase opportunity, but still require a lot of work to increase your odd's. Use the fish and game website and to a bunch of research on draw odd's for LE units. Don't focus on the number of NR tags issued, but on the % of successful NR's. You won't find that the 10% max limit lowers your odd's very much. Look for what is important to you, opportunity or trophy. You will very much find here that they have an inverse relationship. There is a reason units 45 and 54L have such low draw odd's. Units with draw odd's above the mid teens are either not very good trophy quality or limited by access.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

BTW royal, I sent you a PM.