Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Idaho Area 44 deer hunt.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Idaho Area 44 deer hunt.........

Hey Guys,
I got lucky this year and drew a unit 44 deer tag. Anyone ever hunted deer there? Will also be looking for a bear. I have been in the area in the past and seen both big Mulies and several bears as well.
Thanks, Kirk
Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Idaho Area 44 deer hunt.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Hey Guys,
I got lucky this year and drew a unit 44 deer tag. Anyone ever hunted deer there? Will also be looking for a bear. I have been in the area in the past and seen both big Mulies and several bears as well.
Thanks, Kirk

Never hunted 44.

Question. How'd you come up with the moniker "Catahoula" I tho't I was one of the very few in Idaho that knows what a Catahoula is? Or maybe you spent time in Catahoula Parish?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Never hunted 44.

Question. How'd you come up with the moniker "Catahoula" I tho't I was one of the very few in Idaho that knows what a Catahoula is? Or maybe you spent time in Catahoula Parish?

Catahoula's are very popular dogs here in South Carolina for hog hunting, and then the cross bred of Cat's with Pit bull dogs,,,I should have a litter of the "Bull-Cats" in a few days!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Check this out.

unit 44 info

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Royinidaho...........

Sorry it took so long to reply. I work in Wyoming and only come home on weekends. I have been raising Catahoulas for about 15 years. They make great family pets and are hell on wheels for coyote calling dogs. I will never be without a Cur. Lately I have been bear hunting with them and they really like that.
Where are you in Idaho? I am in Idaho Falls.
Kirk
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Kirk,

Roy is from Blackfoot, He's one heck of a nice guy. I think that he's in New Mexico for work at the moment.....

I've never hunted Area 44 either. I've heard that It holds some great muleys though. And should be fun.

I go back home every year and hunt with my Dad in Unit 76. I grew up in Soda Springs, but I've been living in Idaho Falls for 8 years now.

Dan
Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Kirk,

Yep I'm from Blkft though I'm in SLC untl spring '12.

We'll have to get together.

Are you're Catahoulas the blackmouth cur type or the colorful ones with glass eyes?

I've used them to herd cattle and sheep. Tree anything that will tree. Run coyotes to ground. Also did some hog dog trials and cattle trials in Conroe Texas. And just plain friends. Amazing animals. I've beat some world class border collies with one. It wasn't pretty but it got done.

I still know nothing about unit 44. Just go and shoot something.