Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

$$ Hunting Trips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: $$ Hunting Trips

Broz,

If i had neighbors like yours i would have never fenced my place either, it would be great if more Texans had your train of thought on letting deer walk.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

You should of mentioned in your story that it was a high fence hunt from the start and you would of got less slack. I forgive you though because your Mom is hot..
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
You should of mentioned in your story that it was a high fence hunt from the start and you would of got less slack. I forgive you though because your Mom is hot..
Note taken for future post!!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Welker View Post
Broz,

If i had neighbors like yours i would have never fenced my place either, it would be great if more Texans had your train of thought on letting deer walk.
Oh you should have known some of the local trash I lived near. They drove up and down the road by my place with barrels out the window looking to kill and grab one quick. I was reported to the police and the game warden, and got a visit from them both. A neighbor crack head reported I shot the hat off his head to run him off as he was tracking a wounded buck. Then I reportedly took the buck for myself. Local channel 13 reported it too. I told the authorities that was ridiculous, I was a better shot than that. Problem was I was out of the state the day it happened. This all started when I caught them on our land and ran them off with a warning. Then it accelerated when my son put some knots on his kids face on the school bus. LOL, bus driver told me personally he took his sweet time pulling over to break it up as my son was doing a fine job and was just in doing so.

Oh well, bottom line was you give the deer a comfort zone and they will be there and keep coming back. All they want is food, water and a safe place to rest.

Sorry for getting off track.. back to your original discussion.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Welker View Post
All that being said i have a 10,000 acre lease (low fence) that myself and my little bro have patterned the deer so well that either one of us could get someone on a 150'+ deer in no time at all thanks to trail cams and feeders, so i have a hard time understanding the difference between all the gadgets we have and a high fence.
B EZ
Here's where it can be interesting where the lines are drawn. One can hunt large well managed properties with normal or no fences, that certainly won't be the same level of difficulty as the folks without access on the public ground surrounding it. I've hunted a 60,000 acre ranch in Alberta, and a 100,000 acre ranch in Wyoming. I considered them "fair chase" hunts, some of the DIY guys might disagree. I've had easy hunts, and brutal hunts. The difference between hunting Roosevelt Elk on the coast vs Elk in Wyoming I'm not sure can even be compared. However, within the situation a person can still find ways to challenge themselves. Broz mentioned the young hunter with his first buck, which is where all the good stuff is, this one is a challenge as it was first, now its up that hunter and mentor to up the stakes so it remains challenging in one form or another. Maybe its the difference in well managed areas you will more likely shoot "A" buck where in some high fence operations you pick "THE" buck. I had a grizzly tag in BC, I took a full pack fall, and walking was no longer an option. We cruised clear cuts and glassed, but no bear. We bumped into a native whose fishing camp had problems. It was the season end so they buckled everything down and left, but they were clear they wouldn't mind not seeing this particular bear again. We looked it over and no bear. Here's the question, if that bear had been coming out of a cabin with a Twinkie in his mouth would that diminish the story or make it better. Me I could have the taxidermist cover the head with powdered sugar and still be tickled looking at it today.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

IMO there's nothing that compares with public land hunting for trophy game. Man it's a challenge. 130-150 is tops in our WT area we hunt, but we manage to take at least one of those each year and some years a bit better. Nothing against anyone hunting any way, just what I like though.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

my problem with it is the deer cant leave if its high fence so its not nearly as cool as when someone kills a monster on public land. But I dont care what you or anyone else does either. I certainly dont hold another guys 220" high fence in a higher reguard than my 165" public land whitetail. But to each his own...and yes Mrs. Welker if you are reading this you are crazy hot

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad