Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Hunting Pressure advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting Pressure advice

You're a guest, so maybe instead of changing the hunt, change the goals and expectations. Lots of purely social family hunts out there and that's a good thing. Just expect to hang out with family riding ATV's, and packing rifles instead of watching football. It's also OK to plan something for yourself elsewhere, or make a plan that includes your father in law.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
You're a guest, so maybe instead of changing the hunt, change the goals and expectations. Lots of purely social family hunts out there and that's a good thing. Just expect to hang out with family riding ATV's, and packing rifles instead of watching football. It's also OK to plan something for yourself elsewhere, or make a plan that includes your father in law.
I understand, I didnt mean to sound like I was attempting to change how my father-in-law hunts...just seeing what people thought about the situation I am in and how they may proceed for the rest of the hunting season. Dont get me wrong, I feel very blesssed to even have a place to hunt and spend time with my fiance and her family. That being said, we have LOTS of BIG bucks on camera from 2 months ago and LOTS of does so I was hoping some of the big guys would have stayed around during the season but all we have seen was a 5 pointer and two spikers, and some does.

I may take the other person's advice and hang in the stand all day instead of coming out at lunch when everyone else does. We typically get out of the stand around 1030am and get back in at 130pm. Sounds like the big guys will be in the thick stuff hiding so maybe i can convince the old man to put on some drives towards the end of the season but for this coming weekend and next week i believe we are still in the rut...so who knows what will happen.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Bronze Member

I think you are on the right track. Pack a lunch and sit in a place where you have the best visibility of the travel corridors. The deer may move when the forest gets quiet after everyone leaves for lunch.

Jay

Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag, all factory, shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 PSP factory rounds. Shoots too good to try and "fix" it. Multiple one shot kills to 400+/- yards and one kill at 815 yards.

Winchester Model 70 XTR in 264 Win Mag with Nikon 4.5x14SF BDC running HSM ammo loaded with 140 Grain Bergers. Antelope killer!

Someday, a APS Raptor LRSS in 338 AX. Time to step up my game. Ordered 10/2011 and still waiting!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

I will most likely spend all day in the stand. When/if these bigger bucks move around during the day whether with does or alone during the rut, how far will/could they move? Do they stay in the general area or will they roam for hundreds of yards, acres or a mile?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

A good buck is probably not going to be roaming around much, if at all, during the daylight hours unless he's with a hot doe and she gets up to move to another area. Staying out from before daylight until last light every time you hunt is the way to go since deer do funny things and you have to be there when they move on their own or get bumped by someone else.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Things seem to be covered well here. The biggest buck I shot was at about 10AM and he was running towards the woods I was hunting, not walking out if them like most of the deer I shoot. I know there is an instant respect we have for a guy who shoots a buck that scores more than 200 but, he got lucky. There are basically 3 things you can control. 1. can you hit the guy? 2. Are you hunting the 'best' place you can (like is it a high traffic area)? and 3. are you spending as much time there as you can. other than that, God has to bring the buck to you. Good Luck.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Ok one more question for you all. Lets say there is a well traveled path over a few hundred yards. Lets say, someone shot at something there opening day. So of course we went on foot a ways to track and recover. Is that spot now dead or might the deer who werent there that day come? This was this past sunday. No one has been back to the 150 acres since let alone back to that spot so I am trying to decide if it is worth sitting in that spot this weekend. Again, this was the best spot before that person shot the doe there. They didnt see any other deer near by but that doesnt mean they werent there. just wondering if the shooting...plus us walking around to find the dead doe ruined that spot ofr by us not even touching the hunting land since might have allowed it to cool off and bucks/does return?