Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee, WY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee,

I just got back from Kaycee this noon. I understand where you mean. I was able to get to part of it. Looks good. It'll be a good backup plan. I may have some more questions later this year.

Thanks for the help!!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: How much legal road access is there to and across the public land west of Kaycee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I just got back from Kaycee this noon. I understand where you mean. I was able to get to part of it. Looks good. It'll be a good backup plan. I may have some more questions later this year.

Thanks for the help!!
Len,
When you were up in there did ya see any antelope? I spoke to the F& G guy and he said deer numbers were down and that they would be more than likely adjusting for this. He also said be prepared for atv traffic. I haven't been on public land in wy for awhile now. So, I'm not sure what degree this PIA will be?

Gene R.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Broz and others gave you a pretty good description of the area . I am also sorry to tell you that maost of the ranchers in that area have less of a clue as to the boundaries then you or I. When hunting this area you absolutely need a GPS with State maps. So when they call the law on you you can prove your innocence! I live in the general area and the people who own or manage these tracks of land no longer seem to care or understand about state land or their land.the slip road outta mayoworth does have good access for quite a distance though. If it snows early its a tricky ride.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
PUBLISHER

Gene, yes, I saw a good number of antelope.

James, I always carry a gps with those maps. In fact I sell the maps.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Len,
Thats good to hear. Hunting Buddy and I are going for a couple weeks maybe more never know. So, we can be alittle picky then? May not have the extra time for picky w/ antlered deer though if the season is only 7 days as the G&F fella said. Might try to talk buddy into going out this Summer scouting, who knows.

Thanks,
Gene
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
PUBLISHER

Am I correct that the Ed Taylor is 163 Mule Deer and 20 Antelope?

And yes, 163 MD does indeed have only a one week length this year. I assume that will make it into quite a rodeo.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

It's in deer unit 163 and antelope unit 21. Unit 163 is open for antlered mule deer or any whitetail from 10/15-10/21 and Unit 21 is only open from 10/15-10/31, which is a pretty short season for antelope. Unit 20 for antelope is north of there and the boundary is CR 190 (Barnum Road).