Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Hoping to hunt CO mule deer this fall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hoping to hunt CO mule deer this fall

I should draw my rifle second season mule deer buck tag for Colorado unit 62 this year. I've killed a spike and a doe with my bow and a spike with my muzzleloader but never a nice mule deer buck. If I draw I will be hunting with some friends that live out there. She killed a 192" in 2007 and he has a 196" on the wall, both from that unit. I have no illusions of killing one that big but a 140" 4x4 would just tickle me pink. Anybody else kill any whoppers from Unit 62? (Not asking for any honey holes, just curious).

NRA Life Member
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Hoping to hunt CO mule deer this fall

I didnt kill a whopper last year but harvested a meat buck (3xspike) in 62 last year on the last day.

I was hunting not far out of Montrose along the farm lands. I did see one nice 170+" 4x4 that I couldnt get a shot on and just couldnt close the deal on another 4x3. I passed on a very nice 3x3 a couple of different times. I could have harvested any old smallish to medium buck every day but was holding out for a really nice one untill the last day.

All in all, it was a very fun and action packed hunt. Finding big ones is tough in this unit unless you have inside info which it sounds like you have.

This was the first deer I have ever "dropped" in its tracks. Shot was 318 yards using the 150 ACCUBOND @ 2800 FPS.

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Checked on the Colorado DOW website and it looks like I'll be hunting mule deer! Now, which rifle to use? I have a stock for my 7mm RUM that I need to bed it to. I have had very good accuracy with the 150 gr BT, but I live about 25 miles from the guy who makes JLK bullets and I'm tempted to try some of their 168 or 180 VLD's. I'm sure any of those bullets would make short work of a buck as far as I could hit him. My longest kill to date is 589 yds, hopefully I can find a good buck at 600 yds or less.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Which season did you draw for 62??
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Second season. Are you coming out again Michael? If so it would be nice to say hi to a hard core hunter and fellow LRH member.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Not this year. I am putting my time and money into a December coues hunt in AZ. I have a pile of bonus points for deer and I am cashing them in on coues this year.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

7mm Rum sending 180vlds @ 3200fps will kill any animal in America beyond 1000 yards (except for maybe rare giant bears)

A 7mm Rum will not only send a deer flying but it would also probably cut and wrap it in one shot. (Joking)