Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

gotta send my APS rifle back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: gotta send my APS rifle back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Fourteen deer in three years!!! It people like you who keep the rest of us humble. Dam, I hate being humble.
I stand corrected bob, the rifle has taken 17 deer in 3 complete seasons!
RR
Old 02-08-2009, 06:47 AM

RR, that's one (17 I'd say) impressive shot, good deal. I wanted to ask you a couple questions about the shot/rifle. I know the rifle is fairly heavy but what trigger & pull are you shooting?

And you said you were up 20+ MOA, do you have custom rings?, or does the scope have that much adjustment? At what range is it zeroed?

I know you've had the rifle at least 3 seasons, knowing what you know now, if you had a choice, would you rather have a different scope/reticle? And thanks for letting me handle your gun, that's a very nice machine.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnow View Post
RR, that's one (17 I'd say) impressive shot, good deal. I wanted to ask you a couple questions about the shot/rifle. I know the rifle is fairly heavy but what trigger & pull are you shooting?

And you said you were up 20+ MOA, do you have custom rings?, or does the scope have that much adjustment? At what range is it zeroed?

I know you've had the rifle at least 3 seasons, knowing what you know now, if you had a choice, would you rather have a different scope/reticle? And thanks for letting me handle your gun, that's a very nice machine.
Tim,
The rifle has the factory 700 trigger tuned by FiftyDriver on this forum, breaks like a glass rod at just about 2# or a hair more.
The mark 4 has about 35 MOA up/down from center, I have burris ETR rings, and ken ferrel 2 pc 20 MOA bases. with my standard 300 yard zero the erector tube is situated so I' have about 50 MOA of up from zero, so actualy with the 25.5 moa of up to make the 1350 yd zero the adjustments were just above the mechanical center of the erector tube.

The scope that is on the rifle now is the second scope thats been on it in 3 years, I started out with an XOTIC 4x16x56. The scope was pretty good for the money, tracks true, turrets are bullet proof, but the side focus went whacko 1/2 way through my second season, I sent it back for repair and to make due I put the leupold mark 4, M1 TMR 6.5x20x50 on it, just couldn't bring myself to remove it after I got the XOTIC back.
As far as reticles, I like the plain fine plex, for dialing up it can't be beat, but the TMR and other reticles based on mil-dots are handy for measuring the spread of a bucks rack, thats all I use them for.
RR
Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 AM

James, I looked through one of my catalogs last eve here at work, looks like I'd better get a 2nd job. Otherwise I'll be living in a cardboard box under the bridge. But I've got a b-day coming up before long.

One reason I asked about your scope, back 20 some years ago I bought a couple VXIII 6.5X20's and I hunted with them 2 or 3 seasons. Honestly I killed a few critters that I wouldn't have with less magnification, I also missed a couple that I should have had, because it seemed I always had them cranked up on 18 or 20X, when 3X would have been better. Ridge to ridge they were nice for finding antlers and picking shooting lanes through the tree tops, etc, but up close I couldn't get off a shot, most of the time. Didn't take long to figure out they're not much good for stalking/offhand shots. The next one I got was a straight 24X and have it on a varmint gun, better optics than the variables IMO.

Let me ask where you shot from? (the 1350yd shot) I'm not real familiar with the east side of the mtn, if I had to guess I'd say you were in the powerline. You were on Denzel & Jim's place, right?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Yes, I was 30 yards from denzils shop, the deer was just inside the fence of the 40 acre field just under the top of the mountain due north from denzils house. about 200 yards from the camper on top the mountain.
I ranged a spot in the field about 150 yards short of the deer, it was the max for my leica 1200, 1218 yards, being on the place alot I knew about how much farther the deer were, to be sure I used a couple spotter shots before the rifle was turned on the deer. saw the bullet impact the deer through the scope, and called it a bad hit, but she took a couple steps and layed down.
When all was said and done I had the scope adjusted for 1350 yards according to exbal, which has been right on the last 2 years.

As far as optics go, I also have a couple 6.5x20 variXIII's, they are not the scope that the 30mm Mark 4's are, the Mark 4's aren't the best you can buy but they are much better than the examples of the variXIII's that I have which is a few. and the 30MM tubed loopys have alot more adjustment. I had no trouble seeing the hair fly off the deer as the bullet impacted at .78 of a mile
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 AM

James, Ok, you've answered about all my questions. Denzil, should have known that. I'm still curious about what type of weather station you have, and I've been reading about Exbal. an impressive machine. I'm sure you realized this, but the other evening when you stopped in, you were telling me stuff over my head, I soaked in a bunch of it, and I've searched here to answer some of my ?'s. The more I think about that shot and all the little things that went into it, the more I'm amazed. I know how the wind swirls around in those coves/hollows. One day when you're shooting, I'd like to come over and watch. Or, I've got a couple places where we can shoot.

I'll start a new thread in the "starting out" section, soon as I decide which rifle I want to switch to long range. Then maybe I can get input on the stuff I need and don't need. I'm realistic, and know that you and lots of others here will get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

Tim
I use a kestrel 2500, gives me wind speed, bar pressure, temp and altitude, but if you know your station pressure (bar pressure where your at) then altitude is a moot point. I mostly just look at my lacrosse watch and get the bar pressure from it, enter that into exbal and leave the altitude at zero.
RR