Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

First win for "Checkmate"...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

First win for "Checkmate"...........

Well, it was a great morning. I had spotted this beauty just after sunup and by the time I got to my pre planned route to where I had a manageable shot, he had already bedded down. My two brothers were with me from out of state (I was guiding them) and one of my brothers had already got his buck and I knew that this one was a bruiser. I told my other brother, Jeff, that if he wanted this one, it was his. So, we got set up, ranged him and waited. He was at 475 yards and he knew we were there and there was no way to get into shooting position without him really seeing us. I dialed my dope and was going to back up my brother in case he missed. I used a cow call to get him up and when Jeff shot, I could not tell where he shot but the buck was still standing and I sent a 215 berger through the heart from my newly built 300 winny, "Checkmate". He managed to stumble about 30 yards and he went down. The 215 made the appropriate jello in the chest cavity and I could feel it on the outside shoulder when I laid my hands on him and thanked the man upstairs.
Here are a couple of hero pics along with pics of the berger damage and bullet. I weighed the bullet when I got home and it was 112 grains. Completely blew the heart apart and he is just over 30 inches wide.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
First win for "Checkmate"...........-hunting-2013-011.jpg   First win for "Checkmate"...........-hunting-2013-017.jpg  

First win for "Checkmate"...........-hunting-2013-010.jpg   First win for "Checkmate"...........-hunting-2013-022.jpg  

First win for "Checkmate"...........-hunting-2013-026.jpg   First win for "Checkmate"...........-hunting-2013-036.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 10-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First win for "Checkmate"...........

Very nice! The antlers are great, but I really like seeing a buck enough age to have a bit of forehead, and a big body like that.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Very nice! The antlers are great, but I really like seeing a buck enough age to have a bit of forehead, and a big body like that.
Yup, I know what you mean. He was really long body wise---about the longest backstraps I've ever seen on a deer.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 10-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Randy,
That is the perfect way to break in a new rifle. Congrats on an awesome buck!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Randy, I new you would break that rifle in right. That is beautiful. Where you up in same area you hunted last year? Be sure to say hi to Jeff for me. Again what an awesome buck.

Kyle
Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

All I can say is wow!!!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Dear Lord, please forgive me for I am a sinner. I have envy at the moment of unthinkable proportions at this moment. Amen