Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

First Deer with a gun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Re: First Deer with a gun!

happy you got your buck but as the guy above said...how did you range him then? I think shooting over 300 yards with out a range finder is kind of irresponsible...hate to past judgement(lord knows I have done many stupid things hunting) but when you have bullets dropping feet...not inches, you really need to know the range of the animal being shot. Again, I really dont mean to sound like a hard *****, I have done a few questionable things hunting as well, but I try and learn from them as best as I can. Anyways, congrats though...that is a nice buck!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM

well I maybe 600 (guessed on the range), like I said I'm not certain on the distance but I have looked at possible ballistics charts i did aim some over the back of the deer so i know it was over 300 due to the rifle being zeroed at 200.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysn View Post
well I maybe 600 (guessed on the range), like I said I'm not certain on the distance but I have looked at possible ballistics charts i did aim some over the back of the deer so i know it was over 300 due to the rifle being zeroed at 200.
This is a bit bothersome. Please invest in a good range finder.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice first deer.

about 600?? Really man? If we were in person this conversation would go a little different. That's some cowboy SH.... never mind.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the congrats but, i don't see this conversation going any differently if we were in person. I've been shooting that rifle for many years at that range, i know about where the range was, I trust my abilities. just glad there wasn't much wind to deal with. if you ever make it out to Utah Id be glad to go out shooting with you professionals with the expensive glass and rangefinders, it would be fun to mutually learn from one another.