Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

I've been using 165gr SST's for while in 7.5 swiss and 30-06 loads for deer. Shots have ranged from 75 - 300yrds. I have never needed a second shot but have been less than impressed at times. I've seen a lot of jacket core separation. These loads have rarely exited and those that have left the jacket in the off side hide. Wound channels are huge and can cause massive damage to meat if you happen to strike bone on entry. The worst I saw was a shot at roughly 75yrds with the 30-06 where the SST literally exploded on entry. Fragments everywhere and very little penetration. Once I use up my current loads I'll switch to something else. They do look good on paper though.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

I love them in my 308 for deer. shoot through deer leaving them where they stand. Not had good luck getting them to shoot in 4 different 243s though.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=winmag;374833]I went out to the desert shooting yesterday. 450 yds,accross canyon witha 20-25 mph head wind from 11:00 position. The SST's shot beautifly!!!!........However theres a catch........... I found two bullets with complete jackett/core sepperation!
I know 3 of my shots hit the dirt just in front of my 5/8 plywood target board with my paper target secured to it, and left key holes thru the plywood.(I was shooting both my rifle and my dads, dads has a standard duplex, and I was doping the top of the bottom post when I hit the dirt). ANYWAY......long story short I only shot a ttl of 24 rounds, and found 2 with jacket/core seperation. So needless to say, I must re-cant my opinion of the SST. Even though I liked what they did on my uncles elk, I wont be using them for hunting like I planned. Maybe this is not a fair shake to the SST, but I have never seen a bonded bullet perform as poor as this no matter what I hit. Its bonded so it DOESNT seperate jacket and core. Ill be switching to the IB's, and I hope they fly as well as the SST's.
These were 150gr Hornady SST,s with .525 b.c. in 270WSM, with 61gr of IMR 4831(1 tenh of a grain over saami max). in both rifles. They both shoot under a min. with this load. Noslers Accubond only goes up to 140gr so Im sticking with Hornady, and going with the IB's. they have the same shape/weight/load data/and B.C., so hopefully they work up simmilarly to the SST.[/QUO

SST's are not bonded bullets, so perhaps this may be your reason for disappointment.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Trapper I don't care for SST"S either. BUt I do love the accubonds. I know you like the 150's but a 140 gr accubond will do you right. I shoot a .270 win and use H4350 with 140's an H4831sc with 130's. They are very very accurate. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

I shot a few deer with the SST and performance was good, maybe a little explosive but I like that better than having pencil holes.

I went to the Interbond and like them better than the Accubond so far for terminal performance in my 270wsm.

I have not yet tried them in my 6.5x284.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Man, it seems like they're either loved or hated! I'm headed to Africa and wanted to bring my .264 along for some lighter game but can't seem to find anything that preforms to my satisfaction in the accuracy dept. I originally loaded Sierra 140gr spbt with 46 gr IMR 4064. I got decent groups (1/2") at 100 yds. but it seems like my gun only shoots well cold. After 5-6 shots they start stringing out hi and left. I just tried the Barnes 120gr. TTSX with 48gr of 4064 and my groups went to 1-1/2". I couldn't find any Sierra's at my local Bass Pro so I thought i'd give the SST a chance. BTW, i'm shooting a Rem 700 Classic w/24" bbl. If anyone has any suggestions or pet loads, i'm all ears.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Digging up some bones with this one. This thread is a couple years old but I'll put my opinion/experiences out there.
I only have experience with the .308 and 7mm SST's. I load them exclusively in my 7 mag and have for the past 10 years. To me they compare to ballistic tips, capable of great accuracy and rapid expansion. They make a very good bullet for medium game. If you are one of those who believe a bullet should leave all it's energy inside the animal then load some light for caliber SST's in that high velocity .264 and you won't be disappointed. If you are like me and want a bullet that expands quickly and still penetrates, load the heavy for caliber SST's. The difference is just the length of the shank. I have shot mature whitetail bucks (170-200+ lbs) from distances of under 50 yards out to 500, and they had great performance on all (162gr 7mm). Great terminal performance and a good sized exit hole. None go very far if move at all.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.