Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Experience with Hornady SST on deer?

I've only killed one deer with the .264 129 gr SST out of a .264 WM for what it's worth. A medium sized doe quartering away at about 75 yards. She started to turn to run just as the shot broke. Hit her just in front of the hindquarter and the bullet angled forward into the paunch. She ran about 20 yards and keeled over. The entrance wound was fairly large and I never did recover the bullet. It failed to penetrate into the chest.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

I went out to the desert shooting yesterday. 450 yds,accross canyon witha 20-25 mph head wind from 11:00 position. The SST's shot beautifly!!!!........However theres a catch........... I found two bullets with complete jackett/core sepperation!
I know 3 of my shots hit the dirt just in front of my 5/8 plywood target board with my paper target secured to it, and left key holes thru the plywood.(I was shooting both my rifle and my dads, dads has a standard duplex, and I was doping the top of the bottom post when I hit the dirt). ANYWAY......long story short I only shot a ttl of 24 rounds, and found 2 with jacket/core seperation. So needless to say, I must re-cant my opinion of the SST. Even though I liked what they did on my uncles elk, I wont be using them for hunting like I planned. Maybe this is not a fair shake to the SST, but I have never seen a bonded bullet perform as poor as this no matter what I hit. Its bonded so it DOESNT seperate jacket and core. Ill be switching to the IB's, and I hope they fly as well as the SST's.
These were 150gr Hornady SST,s with .525 b.c. in 270WSM, with 61gr of IMR 4831(1 tenh of a grain over saami max). in both rifles. They both shoot under a min. with this load. Noslers Accubond only goes up to 140gr so Im sticking with Hornady, and going with the IB's. they have the same shape/weight/load data/and B.C., so hopefully they work up simmilarly to the SST.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 PM

I have shot two deer with 139 sst one was 200 and another at 250 both drt so ive had good luck with them so far
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

Shot a spike at 175 yds out of my .308. Complete pass through with a massive wound cavity. He never took another step. (right behind the shoulder) Shoot this load out of both my .308 and '06 and love the accuracy and performance.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

I have a 264 Win Mag and have only used the interlocks from Hornady. I found that the 129gr cause a lot of meat damage and the 140gr provide better penetration but stil with meat damage. Try to shoot head-shots most of the time, but if a I know the shots will be at extended ranges I use Rhinos or SGK. Why dont you gives Barnes X a try?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Bronze Member

My brother put a 10pt East Texas white tail down with 130gr SST in 270 Win. I loaded the bullet myself with R22 powder. I like the accuracy and value of the SST, but I prefer the Nosler BT because it will open up easier than the SST. His shot was excellent with broadside that scraped the back of both of the front shoulders. The deer ran 40 yards and plopped dead with excellent blood trail. Exit hole was not much bigger than the entry. Didn't find any bullet fragments.

I've loaded the 139gr SST in 7mm Mag. It was accurate as well. But I went with the Nosler BT for my hunting.

If you like the H Interlock, R Core-Lokt, Speer Hot-Cor, or Win PP, you will like the SST just a bit better.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM

I have used 95gr SST out of my 243 and they really do a lot of damage. Very accurate bullet but I have switched to Barnes 85 TSX. I like how they perform on game better and they are also very accurate. From my experience the hornady SST are more accurate than NBT's, in both 6mm and 7mm, in my guns at least.