Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Dog Hunters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dog Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Well this ought to piss some of you off. I run humans with hounds, there is nothing in the world that will get your motor running like following a pack of hounds running hot and closing on an armed man.
+1 RIGHT THERE WITH YA.
Brings a whole new meaning to the words fair chase.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

We have a metric ton of dog hunters in Wisconsin, they can run bear, racoon, bobcat ,wolf and coyote, woops did I just type wolf?

Anyway they do a good job of controlling predators, I just wish they would shoot more bear, rather than being fussy trying to get a big one. We have lots of bear.

I have run coyotes with some of the locals and they do run some private land with permission and on occasion they get on privte that they are to stay off of. When ever that happens they are quick to catch them at the first opportunity, and/or make contact with the owner and ask to get them if they are hung-up in that section.

The are very humble and non confrontational, but on the flip side I have seen some groups of hound hunters that have less manners then there dogs and think they have a birth right to every pc of land in the country. They are the guys who ruin it for the responsible ones. My local dog hunting groups are cooperative to the point that they all have established areas that they don't overlap. This is great for accountability.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyo View Post
there are good reasons to hunt with dogs ie wild hogs, control deer drives, My problems isnt those, its the good ole boys in a truck who drop off a couple with dogs and they go thru a place & then have bud pick the up or they run dogs with tracking &shock collers to steer them thru your prop to flush the deer no men around, fish & game knows them but you have to see&catch w/game. mean while there goes the feed trail prep &all the time. what would you do.

garyo, im gonna say that 1 you did not graduate with an english degree, and 2 you have never been dog hunting. no matter what you do to the dog it doesnt change where the deer goes.ie shocking them.

to all non dog hunters. its not our fault that our dogs get off our land. we try so very hard to keep that from happening. but sometimes it just does. the dogs cant read posted signs, its not their fault. anyway they are just following the deer. you should be mad at the deer for not following the posted land regulation.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM

its not about my grammer, it was about deer hunting att night w/dogs .getting your buddy to drop you off on priv. land, no permit,
Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM

well you said it yourself, they did it at night.so you know they are law breakers out the gate. you dont have to lump the law abiding dog hunters in with them.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

I dog hunted in my youth and it was amazing to see the maneuvers deer would do to throw the dogs off the track. I remember watching a nice buck wade out into a cypress pond and lay down with just half his head sticking out of the water. When the dogs followed the trail to the water they stopped and went around the pond couldn't pick up the trail again. Needless to say it's always the sorriest dog in the pack that will then hit the backtrack and pull the rest of the pack with him. That buck stayed for about 2 minutes and then walk out of the pond headed in the opposite directions. There are good and bad dog hunters and the same with still hunters. As for the bad guys it's just a different form of poaching.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Deer hunters - hunts deer
Elk hunters - hunts elk
Duck hunters - hunts ducks
Dog hunters - hunts ?????

I've heard hunting games with dogs before but never "dog hunters" ... just saying

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.