Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Reaction to shot. Input Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: Deer Reaction to shot. Input Please

thanks guys,

No i didnt here the typical thwap a hit produces.

I went back out yesterday to where the deer was standing when i shot and ranged back to my firing point. My original range had been 55yds to much. I must have been ranging beyond the deer to the slight incline beyond it.

This error in range should have only changed my point of impact roughly 2 inches though.

I think the theory of that it went just high is probably right on.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
I went back out yesterday to where the deer was standing when i shot and ranged back to my firing point. My original range had been 55yds to much. I must have been ranging beyond the deer to the slight incline beyond it.
What RF were you using? Must have a huge beam divergence. Or were you ranging off hand?

Jeff
Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

It was a leica 1600 crf. And yes, offhand.

Thanks again for the reply and help.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

A few years back me and my father were hunting. He took my sister along to shoot a deer. A decent little 8 point came out at the edge of a field and she shot it. It ran off. I was 300 or so yards away from that spot. I gave it about 3 minutes after the shot and i hit the grunt call a couple times. A pretty little 8 point came out and i shot him. Dad and my sister came running up to see what i'd shot. We had been seeing a big one and he thought I'd shot him. Anyway, I shot the deer in what i thought would be the neck and he fell down. I went up and he was still flopping around, so I shot him again. We started looking and the only bullet wound was at the bottom of the rib cage. I knew there was no way that that would drop him, or that I missed that bad. Anyways, long story short, dad said he jumped and kicked just like yours did. That buck was the same buck my sister had shot, and it got into the brisket but did not get into the chest cavity. The deer kicked and ran off, but then i grunted him in 3 minutes later and shot. It wasn't until we dressed the deer that we found my bullet hole just at the top of the neck. If i hadn't have killed it, my dad would never have figured that out. He spotted the hit and everything.
Nimrod
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

If this comes out it's a video of a doe that has a pass through impact behind her and she gives a good reaction. That worked click on photo

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/matchking175/Pictures/?action=view&current=20100529182016_1_.mp4
Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 PM

The deer I shot this deer season fell flat on its face in a small creek on the first shot. It was a total miss. The second shot, it was facing away from me. The bullet entered behind its ribs on the right and lodged in its front right shoulder. It didn't flinch and trotted off. That was about 150 yards.

Many years ago now I shot a deer at about 40 yards. It was facing me and I sent the round through its chest front to back. It went in, turned its heart to jello, then turned and broke its right leg. That deer didn't flinch, twitch, jump, kick, anything. I thought I missed.

Another I shot with my muzzleloader at an absolutely dumb distance. At least 200 yards, probably closer to 300. I had to Kentucky windage it. No reaction but to run off from the deer. I went to check to be sure I missed and there was blood sprayed all over the snow. After tracking it out and locating it, I found that I got it in the pocket just in front of the left rear leg. No jumping or anything. IIRC, that was a 150grn hollow point sabot (.45 cal bullet + sabot = .50 cal) on top of three 50grn pyrodex pellets out of my TC 209x50.

The only deer I have ever seen kick was one I shot at about 600 yards in the guts.

I have rump shot deer at a dead run and they didn't even break stride.

I guess from my experience, deer don't really kick unless you near miss them or sometimes if you gut shot them.

Matt N
Old 12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

I shot a 215 lb buck yesterday at 326 yards with a 140 Accubond from a .280. At the shot, the deer jumped straight up about 5 feet and ran into some brush. We found him about 130 yards away. The deer was slightly quartered toward me. The bullet entered a touch back, blew up the on side lung, pulverized the liver and blew through the paunch. We didn't find any blood until we found the deer (thanks to a young yellow lab). We were doing a grid pattern search when the puppy wandered off and found it. Since it was night, she became my hero.

The way the deer reacted, I was pretty certain he had been hit hard. However, the lack of sign had me baffled. It just goes to show you that you really need to search after the shot.

Dan