Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer loss from Wolves in Michigans UP.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Deer loss from Wolves in Michigans UP.

I thought I read in our local paper , yesterday that the wolf is delisted and going to state control such as MT, ID? What I do know is that the mountainous steep stuff I hunt , the wolfs are really hard to hunt, between the 2 yrs I had tags I have in 100 days and yet to score. Heard them many times and tracks are everywhere these days
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

They were delisted last year in MT and ID and there are hunting and trapping seasons going on right now in those two states. They are also being delisted in the Great Lakes States and Wyoming, but that will open those areas to more lawsuits and injunction requests from the antis just like occurred for years out west. It will be some time before hunting will happen in those areas.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

As of what I have been told, the MDNR raised them as a pack and let them go.
I do remember all hell broke loose loose when some person shot one that had a tracking coller on it...I have been told the MDNR did introduce them about 20 years ago.
I will check with them and and get back.
KC.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

I went to the MDNR web sight and it looks like the DNR are planing to trap or and open up full
removal of this Animal.
I think they have seen the light as for"..Did the DNR bring the wolves into Michigan?
I sent a letter to Lansing asking the question..I was told they had a hand in this.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

I think the MDNR started trapping and collaring wolves that were taking hold some time ago up in the UP, but I don't believe they ever freely did any introduction of the species. The same thing was said about coyotes years ago. The two things they have been successful at were elk and even more so the eastern turkey subspecies! They didn't have to introduce wolves with them being able to easily work their way over from WI and MN.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

WI is not even talking about a wolf hunt. Since delisting they are going to control problem animals thru DNR removal. Thats all they have said so far.

WI introduced wolves about 3 years after they introduced ELK. We were supposed to have an estimated 2500 elk by now with hunts. guess what no hunt and around 200 elk, and that number is dropping every year.

More money that went into the hands of educated stupid state employees, by rights they must be stupid to introduce one animal so another can kill it.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
WI is not even talking about a wolf hunt. Since delisting they are going to control problem animals thru DNR removal. Thats all they have said so far.

WI introduced wolves about 3 years after they introduced ELK. We were supposed to have an estimated 2500 elk by now with hunts. guess what no hunt and around 200 elk, and that number is dropping every year.

More money that went into the hands of educated stupid state employees, by rights they must be stupid to introduce one animal so another can kill it.
Jim here in ID/WA they kept transplanting woodland caribou from BC. Until BC said they would not send them any more for cat food (lions). My recollection is that quote is close to how they put it. In spite of decreased access to that area, evidence of predation, and some that just walked home. Game departments public position is "POACHERS", when your game numbers start free fall expect to hear this a lot. Secures their position, denies their role, and doesn't challenge their degree from Walt DisneyUniversity.