Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer loss from Wolves in Michigans UP.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

Deer loss from Wolves in Michigans UP.

I had a post about Wolves gone wild. To the friends in the LRH on line magazine.
Please read the post in The American Shooting Magazine, go this post and the info about the
damage the wolves have done to the Deer.
Iam not some slob hunter, nor am I a poacher or want people to kill every wolf on sight, the
people in Michigans UP are at there whits end.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Deer loss from Wolves in Michigans UP.

For the life of me, I can't ascertain what the MDNR was thinking. They (wolf) was basically eradicated in the UP and now, it's as bad or worse than it was prior to eradication last tike around.

I keep wondering if they can 'hitch a ride' across the Mackinaw bridge and decimate the deer population in the lower. That might not be all bad for the thumb area with it's infected deer, but then again, wolves aren't selective as predators.

The wolf thing puts me in mind of the Aisian Carp barrier on the Chicago/Calumet Barge Canal and how something as basic as controlling a real threat can become a political football.

If, instead of using 'intellegent' thought, these people just used common sense, that' to me, would make more sense. I must be a monority however.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
I had a post about Wolves gone wild. To the friends in the LRH on line magazine.
Please read the post in The American Shooting Magazine, go this post and the info about the
damage the wolves have done to the Deer.
Iam not some slob hunter, nor am I a poacher or want people to kill every wolf on sight, the
people in Michigans UP are at there whits end.
KC
Sometimes I need to backtrack to remember where I've been. You did start the wolves gone wild thread to discuss this particular issue. To say the least the direction you pointed got changed radically. My apologies for my part in any of that, or any thing that would make you feel you need to state your integrity. Sincerely Sorry Carl
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

No problem friend.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
KC
Sometimes I need to backtrack to remember where I've been. You did start the wolves gone wild thread to discuss this particular issue. To say the least the direction you pointed got changed radically. My apologies for my part in any of that, or any thing that would make you feel you need to state your integrity. Sincerely Sorry Carl

Same for me, KC. These discussion take on a life of their own sometimes, and not what the OP necessarily wanted to talk about. My apologies. Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Keith, well said, just goes to show how emotional this issue is on both sides.

Sportsman at this time feel pretty hamstrung by the environmentalist and Dept. of Nat. Res. We are losing something that we have held very dear for generations, and
the frustration shows.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

For my se Michigan bro---Why are you blaming the MDNR for the wolf problem? They didn't introduce the friggin things into the UP where they are decimating the moose and deer populations! They came down from Canada just like they did in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Because they were/are on the ES list there hasn't been much that could be done other than killing ones that got into problems with livestock similar to the problems out west. FYI a few DID come across the ice a couple winters ago and have been documented by the DNR down in the Pigeon River Valley in the northeastern LP where our elk herd is located and where the deer have had the TB problems, not down in the Thumb area! Given a few years if they are not eliminated I'll bet the elk will start going down in numbers and it won't be that long until Michigan will no longer have a big enough herd to justify culling through the lottery that we have had for quite a few years.