Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer down but def not dead!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Deer down but def not dead!

That is hilarious. I think it scared him. I wonder if he killed it.

A guy my brother worked with shot a 4 pt one time and when the gun cracked the deer jumped and ran straight into a tree and fell over. It was very cold and he was close to the camp so he threw it on the 4 wheeler and drove the couple minutes to camp thinking he'd have water and everything there to clean up after field dressing it. He fixed a cup of coffee and was warming up while watching out the camp window when a buck that looked just like his ran across the yard and into the woods. A few minutes later he walked outside to field dress his deer and it was gone. I suppose the deer had only knocked itself cold when it hit the tree.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Strange things happen like that. Thank God, its never happened to me but, a friend had one nearly rip his hand off when it came to when he was dragging it by one of its antlers.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 AM

The deer I shot this year was a through and through lung shot. Field dressing showed the ENTIRE chest cavity to be liquefied. BUT, when I walked up to the dear, the entry would was bubbling about once a minute. Even though the eyes were open, and it passed the "prod the eye with a stick" test, I still wasn't going to take a chance. I backed off about 20 yards and put a 168 gr. into its skull. No doubts, field dressing proceeded as planned.