Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer down but def not dead!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Bronze Member

Deer down but def not dead!

I remember seeing one very similar to last year but this lil buck absolutely springs from the ground. I'd say he should have waited longer before going after it! Would of scared me to but you'd of seen me there 10 minutes later.

Hunter Shocked After Shooting Deer
Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Deer down but def not dead!

Hilarious!

If I shot a deer and could see it on the ground without its head up, I would walk over to it too. But if it was still breathing, I would have been shooting quickly or slitting its throat...quickly.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

The first deer I ever shot dropped immediately at the shot. My father was with me and sent me with the guns to the truck because I was shaking with adrenaline and cold while he went to drag the deer. After a few minutes I hear him yelling to bring the guns. I couldn't figure out why because this wasn't SOP for deer hunting. After a few minutes he comes to meet me to tell me my deer wasn't dead and that it ran down the hill to another farmer's land.
After getting permission from that farmer (he isn't the friendliest person but who can resist an 11 year old who just shot his first deer) we went to the creek where the deer went... Long story short, two more shots from my 243 win and a drag through an icy creek and I had my first deer.
Cleaning the deer showed that my first shot hit high in the neck shoulder junction without hitting the spinal cord. Dragging the deer must have revived it from the stun and allowed it to run almost a mile before we could finally put it down. Deer have extremely sharp hooves and tough sharp horns. Now my SOP is a poke in the eye and a cut of the throat ASAP.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

WOW. I watched that about 10 times and it never got old. When the eye opens up you just know what is about to happen.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

If the eyes are closed it is NOT dead. And if it is breathing is another dead (pun intended) giveaway. Do they not teach this stuff in Hunter's Ed class?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashman1 View Post
If the eyes are closed it is NOT dead. And if it is breathing is another dead (pun intended) giveaway. Do they not teach this stuff in Hunter's Ed class?
I think that is what they teach. Once you shoot, get right down. Walk up. Set your gun down. Use foot to prod animal to check for "aliveness". Jump back and pee pants.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I think that is what they teach. Once you shoot, get right down. Walk up. Set your gun down. Use foot to prod animal to check for "aliveness". Jump back and pee pants.
HaHa! That is funny! I have been fortunate to always walk up on a dead deer, no live ones there for me…yet. I did watch a hunting partner walk up on a "dead" deer, straddle it to slit the throat while I warned him about the deer's eyes being shut. Just as he grabbed the rack to lift the head, the deer stood up and picked him up on it's back and away they went! He lasted about 5 seconds until the deer went into the swamp where the hunting partner got a nice chilly bath in SWAMP water!