Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

crop deer with .22 wmr?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

crop deer with .22 wmr?

Need help have been contacted to kill crop deer in a small town setting at a b and b .I used to do it with a 7rm at the farm but this is on 30 acres and within earshot of a b and b .She wants it done at night and my .223 is at the smith til end of may so I need a reasonable priced rifle to hold me over I was thinking .22 wmr with a 40 gr jhp with head shots aat 20 yds with a light I know this is not the place for short range but am in a rush and don't know who else to ask.
I also thought of shoulder shot with a smaller centerfire like .243 with a partition but can't risk it running into the b and b.Please help
Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremcat View Post
Need help have been contacted to kill crop deer in a small town setting at a b and b .I used to do it with a 7rm at the farm but this is on 30 acres and within earshot of a b and b .She wants it done at night and my .223 is at the smith til end of may so I need a reasonable priced rifle to hold me over I was thinking .22 wmr with a 40 gr jhp with head shots aat 20 yds with a light I know this is not the place for short range but am in a rush and don't know who else to ask.
I also thought of shoulder shot with a smaller centerfire like .243 with a partition but can't risk it running into the b and b.Please help
IMO taking head shots at whitetails with a 22mag is very risky and having deer running around with hideous head wounds could do a great disservice to all sport hunters.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

X2 on not doing it with the rimfire.

Last thing you want to be doing is dragging a wounded animal out of someone's yard.

Were it me, I'd wait a couple of weeks until the .223 is back from the 'smith and then load up some heavy projos at subsonic velocities.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

so you guys think that .223 or .243 with a partition or something threw the shoulder bone is the way to go?This is a very unique situation for me and am trying to enter it cautiously.I have seen deer head shot with a .22 mag drop but am sure that is not always the case .I prefer the 7rm or similar but can't in this situation.Do you think a .243 will break shoulder or should I try a different shot?I need them to stay inside 100 yds after shot .
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

I also hear neck shots are good for quick drops but have always stayed with the tried and true broken shoulder under normal circumstances I would never do a head shot on an animal besides squirrel or something but this isn't a normal situation all shots will be kept in 20 yds.Maybe Dave King can comment I saw him mention on his cropdamage article about small calibers.I have the same mind set that he does that it won't disrupt the deer to much and doubles are possible remember this isn't a hunting situation it's more of a thinning of the herd.

Last edited by gremcat; 05-07-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

A heavy .243 Partition, TSX or similar sturdy bullet fired into the shoulder(s) of a whitetail should immobilize it on the spot.

By the way, I saw a farmer kill a 10 point buck with a single well placed bullet from his Ruger 10-22 rimfire. The buck took the little 40gr bullet in the back of the skull and dropped like a rock. However, even the farmer admitted that it was a very poor choice and that he wouldn't try it again. It was a crop-damaging deer kill opportunity and he happened to have his .22 on the tractor at the time.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
no worry mate...

if it were me shooting the 22wmr @ 20yds i absolutely would not worry....i would even do it with the 17hmr.....both rounds would be more than adequate for the job assuming you are a skilled marksman. one word of advise would be to wait for a head down attitude, or a sideways /profile shot to deliver the pill right behind the ear......AJ