Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

A couple long range kills me & my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: A couple long range kills me & my wife

Wow! Great shots and of course great husband and wife team! I wish my wife could go with me hunting together. Well, that's not going to happen ever.

I'm new to long range shooting, so how do you dial in the elevation for the proper distance? Say, when you zeroed in at 200 yards, when you are shooting 500 yards, do you just dial up certain clicks? How do you calculate quickly to get the right numbers?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Nate,

You may have had to work harder for your shot but her shot was flat awesome.

I suppose only a "girl" would make a running shot at that distance look so easy.

Congratulation to both of you.

I bet she can cook too!!! What a team!!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Nate,

you both did an awesome job with video cameras and shooting. I did enjoy that very much. You did great panning the camera after your wife shot. Good memories that can be played and replayed.

Out of curiosity, what model of video camera do you use? I seem to be asking this question a lot.

Thanks for the kind words my wife and I fill all 10 of our tags with time to spare.
The camera is a Sony handycam super steady shot HDR-SR10 really love the performance of it. It is true high definition and it takes 4mp still pictures as well.
15X optic zoom and has a built in hard disk drive. it holds up to 15hrs. of video.

308nate
Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

I know what you mean by noisy it's hard to move quietly with a pickup load of gear. I almost need a check list when packing up to make sure I get all the gadgets for after each shot. I try not to let my wife shoot too much because she makes me look bad............I'm hoping to get her to shoot at an "F" class match this next year so we are going to have to get out and practice dialing elevation and windage.

How do you like the 22x 47 Lapua? If I ever get a .22 ca. I think that will be the one.

Cheers,
Nate

P.S should have a package heading your way on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
You are lucky to have a wife who will hunt with you. My wife loves to hunt, just not with me She says I am too noisy with all my longrange stuff, and am lucky to have longrange equipment otherwise I would never connect.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

I finally got my wife shooting long range, and she loves it. She is shooting a 22-6.5x47 Lapua with 80gr bergers. I started her out shooting those miniture pumpkins that are about 6 inches tall. It took her two shots to hit the first one at 800 yards. Se was hooke when she saw it splatter.

Last edited by 308 nate; 12-14-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
Thats so cool that your wife hunts with you mine did when I first met her but now all she wants to do is play with her horses.

Your camera skills are getting much better to.
Thanks, but I got a long ways to go on the camera skills.......
Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardM View Post
Wow! Great shots and of course great husband and wife team! I wish my wife could go with me hunting together. Well, that's not going to happen ever.

I'm new to long range shooting, so how do you dial in the elevation for the proper distance? Say, when you zeroed in at 200 yards, when you are shooting 500 yards, do you just dial up certain clicks? How do you calculate quickly to get the right numbers?

Thanks for the kind words.

Range it, dial it, shoot it.... I have a drop chart on the side of my gun printed out in 25 yd. increments for taking shots out to 800 yds. in fair conditions. I also carry a pocket pc with exball
for harsher conditions or longer shots. Hang around here for awhile and you'll catch on real fast.

Hope this helps,
308nate
Old 12-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Nate,

You may have had to work harder for your shot but her shot was flat awesome.

I suppose only a "girl" would make a running shot at that distance look so easy.

Congratulation to both of you.

I bet she can cook too!!! What a team!!

Roy, I was starting to get concerned it was going to be a moving shot as the buck was leaving, but she pulled it off just in time and made a perfectly centered chest shot. The wind was blowing about 10mph. I don't remember the position it was from, but those 180's buck the wind pretty good. The very first year hunting she shot a nice 4x4 running at 150 yards. I was pushing a tree plot with our 7 mo. old daughter bundled up on a back carrier. We knew the buck was in there so I set her up on one end and I was about half way through the tree plot when I heard the shot and then the thwack! and knew it was good.

As far as cooking goes, I've never tasted better food than at home, when we go to those expensive restaurants I usually complain about how it could have been better. She has to deal with a lot of special diets around are place(kids have some food allergies), but still manages to make the most awesome meals. We eat some variety of wild game almost 7 days a week and I have never had anything taste remotely gamey, sometimes I even dream about her cooking...I better quite I'm getting hungry with all this typing about food

308nate