Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Coues deer/Mule deer conundrum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Coues deer/Mule deer conundrum

Well, I have a serious problem. I shouldnt complain as it should be a good problem to have. The problem is that I have enough bonus points this year in Arizona to put me in the "1st bonus point pass" for the 20% quota that goes to max point holders to draw any deer hunt I want south of the colorado river. My delima is there are 2 hunts that I desire equally. One is a rifle rut hunt for coues whitetails and the other is a rut mulie hunt with a muzzleloader (inlines, scopes and sabots ARE legal!). So the ML hunt may as well be a rifle hunt since I can use a scope of any power, sobots and inlines. Decisions, decisions....................I really cant make up my mind.

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Coues deer/Mule deer conundrum

To me thats a No-Brainer.
Couesie baby
Do you visit Coueswhitetail.com?
If not just spend a little time there
and we will convince you
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

For ME, it's not even a consideration. I've lusted over hunting for a Coues for as long as I can remember. A rut hunt for a nice Muley would be nice... But a rifle hunt for Coues, now that's a dream come true.

But that's just me. I've not had the chance to hunt either so far. You've hunted sheep many times... that nocks #1 off my wish list so I don't know where that leads to! I got to see a good number of sheep when I was hunting caribou in Alaska, I'll be back for one! When considering deer though, a Coues is at the top.

Either way, you can't go wronge.

Gene
Old 05-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

MICHAEL- he muzzleloader hunt i see is before the mule deer rut by a week. COUES . but what unit??
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
MICHAEL- he muzzleloader hunt i see is before the mule deer rut by a week. COUES . but what unit??

The ML hunt is before the peak of the rut yeah, but having bowhunted the areas in the past many times has shown me that the big boys are still out lookin for girls the last week in December which is when the hunt would be.

If I opt to go coues, it will be unit 22.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

MICHAEL- my bad. i was looking at the unit 12b muzzleloader hunt. good luck in the draw. i still say coues. roninflag
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

MICHAEL- did you see the blurry pic of the succesful coues deer hunter on the front cover of the regs???