Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting


Reply

California Hunting?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29  
Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Shasta County
Posts: 267
Re: California Hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Elk..................No, but my son kills a Black Bear over there every year. Give the Liberals a few more years and hunting will be a think of the past in that state. Hunting will be restord when the State goes belly up because no one that has a job lives there anymore. Then Deer and Bear season will be open again, with no laws or restraints and Leg hold traps will be legal again also.
Black bear hunting here is ridiculous. I usually see more bears when deer hunting in archery than deer, less than during rifle. I thin it has to do with the manzanita berry crop than anything. Next year, I'm going to try to kill a bear with bow.
I could have killed 2-3 last year with my bow.

The Elk hunting here is legit. Hot, very much so. Well it's usually around 75-85 during the day and high 40's at night. When the weather turns to the upper 20's to lower 30's, the rut goes full throttle and **** hits the fan. There are huge trophy bulls here to be killed. Put in your time, do your scouting, learn how and when to call and you will kill a big trophy 300+ bull.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
Re: California Hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Elk..................No, but my son kills a Black Bear over there every year. Give the Liberals a few more years and hunting will be a think of the past in that state. Hunting will be restord when the State goes belly up because no one that has a job lives there anymore. Then Deer and Bear season will be open again, with no laws or restraints and Leg hold traps will be legal again also.
Hahahaha ya it's almost as bad as Nevada is!
He'll I guess I should be happy a least I can just buy a tag don't have to pay out the nose to hunt it
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 912
Re: California Hunting?

I lived in Redding for about 7 years. Loved to hunt bantails up on back bone ridge. Also hunted a lot in the Yolla Bollies...............Still miss the hunting up in that area.
Is .that area a draw area? Would love to go back there some day. I hunted a lot out off of Bowman Road. Up above Platina..............great area.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
Re: California Hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I lived in Redding for about 7 years. Loved to hunt bantails up on back bone ridge. Also hunted a lot in the Yolla Bollies...............Still miss the hunting up in that area.
Is .that area a draw area? Would love to go back there some day. I hunted a lot out off of Bowman Road. Up above Platina..............great area.
Nope just get a b zone tag and go but I went to back bone ridge last year did 10 days in the backcountry but it's over run with people now sorry to say but it's shot out at best!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 912
Re: California Hunting?

To bad about back bone ridge..............we always had some great shooting up there for bandtails. I use to hunt into the middle of the Yollies and would have 10 buck days. Lots of guys hunted the edges but hardly anyone went into the interior . Some ridges were foot hunting only.........................Lots of Boone and Crocket heads came out of there. Talked with one guy who hunted it alone and over the years took four B&C bucks......................saw one that went 161
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
Re: California Hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
To bad about back bone ridge..............we always had some great shooting up there for bandtails. I use to hunt into the middle of the Yollies and would have 10 buck days. Lots of guys hunted the edges but hardly anyone went into the interior . Some ridges were foot hunting only.........................Lots of Boone and Crocket heads came out of there. Talked with one guy who hunted it alone and over the years took four B&C bucks......................saw one that went 161
Ya we parked in hobo gulch camp ground and hunted hard for 10 days cuz I had been told the same thing but we only saw small bucks and a few bears but nothing worth packing out the 12 miles we went in.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 93
Re: California Hunting?

I was told the yolo held good bucks and less people
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 31.80%
69 Votes
NO - 51.61%
112 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.59%
36 Votes
Total Votes: 217
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC