Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Bone Out field Dressing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Bone Out field Dressing

Ok, I'm taking two new guys hunting with me this year. We will be backpacking in approx 6 miles, high camping at 9000+ feet and hunting wherever the deer decide to be.

I would like these two "new to the west" hunters I am taking along to be familiar with field dressing and boning out a Mulie. Got to fit the harvest in backpacks and pack them down the mountain. Can any of you recommend a Internet available video these guys can watch. Don't have time to purchase a video for them right now, so a you tube type presentation would be best.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Re: Bone Out field Dressing

I helped out in a slaughterhouse when I was in high school that processed wild game also. The owner taught me something that at the time a really didn't realize, that basically all four legged animals have basically the same muscle, joint, bone structure. If you can dress/de=bone a whitetail, squirrel, cow, pig, rabbit, elk, any four legged animal, you can dress a Muley. Its all the same for the most part, I wouldn't stress about it. If they have never dressed/de-boned an animal before then I'm sure I can find some info for them, give me a second.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Here is a link to some of the anatomy 3D lwo Anatomy deer animal
Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM

The only thing that this illustration is missing is the tenderloin which is inside of the cavity on the spine and the ribs. So they should be able to go from here.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

Dixie,

Thanks for the post. I'll forward it onto the new guys. No time to train em now. Hunt starts Monday. Guess they will have to learn first hand on the deer without prior presentation.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Try ...

How to gut a deer, field dressing | Wonder How To

How to debone / butcher / work up a deer Part I
How to debone / butcher / work up a deer Part II

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Feenix,
great video and pictures for game processing.
In regards to the video, would just have to coment that is better to free the anus at last before you pull, because if you do it first you would transport with your knife all the bacteria of the anus, from the anus to the rest of your deer. After you gut it, free the anus as it is showed, take out the bladder, and then change gloves and knive or wash the knife before you process the meat.