Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Best State for Mule Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Best State for Mule Deer?

Question for our western hunting experts, what is the best state for a non-resident to draw for big mule deer? I know there are some monsters killed in Arizona but it takes a lifetime to draw the tag, so I guess I'm talking about areas that you can realistically draw in 3-5 years. I have heard some talk of mule deer numbers in some parts of Wyoming and a few other states being way down due to the severe winter last year. I am going to get serious about applying in several good areas, I just need some advice to go along with my research. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: Best State for Mule Deer?

That Depends on what you call a BIG mule deer.

The best state for muleys according to the number of B&C entrys is Colorado.
Utah is also a good state to find a monster but it will take you a few years to draw. Idaho and Montana ans wyoming also have great areas. where you can find some 190 class mule deer.
If you bow hunt Nevada offers some awsome early season high country hunting that is very physical but you see alot of deer.

Another area to consider is Alberta you need a guide but you can find some really good deer.

Eastmans hunting journals every year produce a mule deer hunting guide that out lines the best areas in all of the westerns states and the chances for drawing a tag. I have used it in the past and found it very informative.

I know this post is very vage but it may offer a starting place
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

FWIW, Eastman's stated that every unit in Colorado is capable of producing a 200" buck. Of course you will have have hunt your butt off in some places.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys! I just subscribed to Eastmans about a month ago, waiting for my first issue. When I say big muley I mean a good chance for a 170 and up. Again, thanks for the tips!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Bronze Member

Colorado,Utah, Montana Are all great but the odds of draw is what is going to kill you, i put in for good areas in 2 out of the three and got ( 0 ) nothing, you might have to put in alot of states.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondini View Post
Colorado,Utah, Montana Are all great but the odds of draw is what is going to kill you, i put in for good areas in 2 out of the three and got ( 0 ) nothing, you might have to put in alot of states.
That's what the points systems are in effect for. To draw a coveted tag in a good unit, you are going to have to play the game for a few years. The OP has it right, you have to have a 3-5 year plan, not expect to draw a trophy unit the first year.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMedic View Post
Idaho and Montana ans wyoming also have great areas. where you can find some 190 class mule deer.
Can't speak for Id and Wy, but 190 inch deer in MT are pretty few and far between, even in the exceptional hard to draw areas, I know several muley crazy guys that take up to 2 weeks a year and travel up to 7 hours to hunt and have yet to break 180.