Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Best Buck Yet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Buck Yet

A few years ago I was mentoring with my buddy at a WITO (Women In The Outdoors) event that our NWTF Chapter puts on every year. Tom retired as a highschool guidance counselor and one of the ladies who was probably in her late 30s came up to him and said he was her counselor in school. Then she pulled out several pictures of a nice whitetail buck she had shot to show us and bragg a little. It was a beauty and probably around 170" net B&C. She said she almost didn't get him and when we asked why she said she and her guide were in their tower blind and when she went to take the shot she tunked her barrel against the blind and the buck ran off. She was ticked, but the guide told her not to worry as the buck would be back to the feed trough for his nightly meal! Sure enough, he came back a few minutes later and she wacked him. Guess where the place was---yep, the Sanctuary in mid MI where the OP buck was taken in a real hard hunt as he mentioned, LOL! Tom and I just winked at each other and told her she had taken a real beauty. Turns out she married a bigshot CEO at one of the big companies in Battle Creek and has money to burn or shoot whatever she wants!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Yep, just step up to the counter tell em you want #103 make out that check for twenty grand or so and they will trot him out for ya. Just like setting up trail cameras on thousands of acres of National Forest. No difference ya right I guess if you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth this is what you call hunting. But I don't think I would be posting pictures and bragging about it, thats why there SCI scores and not B&C or P&Y. SCI could care less how it's killed. JMO others may like another flavor of kool-aide.
Dude you got it all wrong they don't trot the deer out for you it's already dead you just claim the one you like best and call him yours, best part about it is you don't even have to leave your computer screen it's all done via skype.

Also my i wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but it did come shortly after.

Lastly B&C or P&Y are BS why should a deer or any animal that is recognized by B&C or P&Y be deducted points the deer have no control over that, i dont harvest anything for the score just what i like..if it scores good great if not whatever...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

drives me crazy when people say its the same thing. Bottom line is its not the same thing its just high fence hunters way of making them selves feel better about it.I have dedicated my hunting to the whitetail and am hear to tell you its not the same thing not even close.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Welker View Post
Dude you got it all wrong they don't trot the deer out for you it's already dead you just claim the one you like best and call him yours, best part about it is you don't even have to leave your computer screen it's all done via skype.

Also my i wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but it did come shortly after.

Lastly B&C or P&Y are BS why should a deer or any animal that is recognized by B&C or P&Y be deducted points the deer have no control over that, i dont harvest anything for the score just what i like..if it scores good great if not whatever...
If you don't care about the score then why did you mention it in the first place, why not just say this is my best buck, even though I killed it in a pen it is still pretty damn awesome.......... I guess the score does matter!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
If you don't care about the score then why did you mention it in the first place, why not just say this is my best buck, even though I killed it in a pen it is still pretty damn awesome.......... I guess the score does matter!
What i meant about not caring about a score is i don't look at live deer and shoot them based on the score, if i like the animal i am going to attempt to take it. Also, just thought it was something that would be asked anyway so why not go ahead and post it...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa whitetail View Post
drives me crazy when people say its the same thing. Bottom line is its not the same thing its just high fence hunters way of making them selves feel better about it.I have dedicated my hunting to the whitetail and am hear to tell you its not the same thing not even close.
Not sure i follow can you clarify your response?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Bronze Member

High fence hunting isnt the same as free range hunting thats what im saying. You dont hear about people bragging about the big fish they caught in a swimming pool do you?Then saying it was just kept there so no one else would catch it.