Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Barnes triple shock disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes triple shock disappointment

I use Barnes TSX and TTSX in 15 of my guns and Swift Scricco's in 2 others. I have not had any problems with any Barnes bullets. I do alot of load development using Barnes bullets. Some example's:150gr TSX in (2) 7 Ultramag's, 180gr TSX's in (7) 300 Ultramag's and (4 )338 Ultramag's with 210gr TSX's. All have killed some deer and mostly elk with 1 shot. Only 1 was shot twice, but it wasn't really needed. I shot a 200lb bear with a 300 WSM 165 TSX at 131 yards and I could almost put both of my fists through the exit hole. Shot placement was right behind shoulder. I also use them in my 270, 270WSM, 7mag, 7 RSAUM, 30-06, 300 RSAUM, and 338 Winmag. I talked to a guy at Barnes and he said the Tipped TSX's will open up sooner and expand faster than the TSX's. I very happy with the Barnes Bullets. Only complaint I have is there BC sucks. Ty from Barnes told me that when the TSX's came out that the BC was the same as the X Bullet. Well later that info was false. I did call him and complained about the BC. But I had already bought over 1500 bullets. And I've bought more since that conversation. So far I been lucky with the barnes bullets and the guys I've loaded for are happy.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

High impact velocity is key with these bullets--almost all of the animals I have killed with them have had impact velocities above 3000fps (7.82 Warbird, .300 RUM) and have had silver dollar sized exit wounds. Have killed antelope, whitetail, and elk with these bullets (XLCs and TSX) with minimal meat damage and quick kills. Only one I've recovered was a 168gr XLC out of my elk, and all petals had been sheered off. I'm a big fan of them losing their petals (additional wound channels/shrapnel) with the shank of the bullet continuing through to exit in most cases. The one deer I killed that was long range and lower impact velocity was a small mule deer doe with the 168gr XLC. She jumped up at the shot, ran 40 yds, stopped and tipped over. Drove down to where she was at and noticed small sized holes in and out of her, but followed the blood trail to where she was initially standing and saw about a palm sized piece of her lung that had been "sucked" out of the exit wound. I'm a fan of these bullets as a close to mid range SHTF type bullet that will penetrate from stem to stern, but I have veered away from them as of late because I have been preoccupied with that pesky "Higher Ballistic Coefficient" idea. While the Barnes' BCs aren't terrible, they aren't spectacular either. So far all of my experiences with Barnes bullets have been favorable.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a couple threads where all of the deer fell to a 130 TSX from a 270. All 4 deer shot distances were roughly 200-220 yards:

UPDATE:SUCCESS! 3 BIG BUCKS BY 3 YOUNG LADIES!! TODAY'S DEER PIC ADDED - Topic Powered by Social Strata

1 MORE SUCCESSFUL HUNT IN COLORADO!! - Topic Powered by Social Strata
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 PM

What are you going to use instead of Barnes triple shock ?
Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Just back from hunting deer in Nebraska. Our party of 5 men took 6 deer, 5 bucks and one doe. I hand load the ammo for 4 out of the 6 deer that were taken. Out of the 4 deer 2 were taken with Barnes TTSX bullets. The TTSX bullets seemed to act different from the one experience that I had with the TSX bullet. First my hunting partner wanted to shoot deer with his 30-06 since he had not taken a deer with it. I had loaded some 168TTSX bullets for his 2009 elk hunt. He had some left and wanted to use them on deer to see the results. The results were outstanding. He took a buck at about 70 yards with a classic shot placement just behind the shoulder. When we cleaned the deer I observed a 1 1/2 inch hole through the ribs. The bullets went through the heart and left a 1 to 2 inch hole in the ribs as it exited. The deer went about 30 yards leaving a large blood trail. You could not have asked for better results.

On the other hand I took a buck at 100 yards using my 280 Rem shooting a140 grain Nosler BT. I had two loads with me. The other load was 140 grain Nosler Accubonds, both loads were using 57.0 grains of RL-19, WLR primers in RP cases. I wanted to use the Nosler BT on longer shots (300+ yards) and the Accubonds on shorter shots 300 yards or less. As it worked out I had the gun set up for the long range shot when a buck ran out from behind me and presented itself at 100 yards, so I shot it with the BT. This was again a classic shot placement just behind the shoulder. The deer ran 30 yards or less and piled up. When we cleaned this deer I saw a 4 inch hole through the rib on the entrance and the heart was cut to pieces from the bone fragment. The bullet punched through the ribs going out but becase only the copper jacket was left it did not exit the deer. I found the jacket in the skin.

I can not say either bullet failed because we both took home a nice buck, but if I were to choose between the performance of these two bullets I would take the Barnes TTSX. My deer was dead because to the shot placement, if I had hit the shoulder I think the Bt would not have penetrated the bone.

I know you can not base a judgment on limited examples, but I do have a different opinion of the Barnes TTSX for deer.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Every deer that I have ever shot with the 70 gr. Barnes TSX (with a .223) was DRT - Dead right there. They have taken a collective total of ZERO steps after the shot.
Shot placement probably has the most to do with expected performance verses actual performance. I have taken a Bobcat through the neck at 386 yards (as well as another on at 10 feet), and deer from 120 to 160 yards. Every shot was an instant, incapacitating kill. I have never recovered one of the bullets, but field dressing the deer shows large wound cavities and traumatic damage throughout the wound channel.
Since I launch my favorite bullet at a relatively modest 2750 fps, I wonder how much bullet velocity is playing in these failures that other hunters have noted. My meager cartridge does not send them to the target at the scorching velocities that I hear others quoting.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Here's a couple threads where all of the deer fell to a 130 TSX from a 270. All 4 deer shot distances were roughly 200-220 yards:

UPDATE:SUCCESS! 3 BIG BUCKS BY 3 YOUNG LADIES!! TODAY'S DEER PIC ADDED - Topic Powered by Social Strata

1 MORE SUCCESSFUL HUNT IN COLORADO!! - Topic Powered by Social Strata
That Colorado hunt looks like Western Colorado out by the Bookcliffs, just cerious I live in Grand Junction. A lot of big bucks were I live .