Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Barnes triple shock disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes triple shock disappointment

"Triple shock"

What does the term "triple" shock really mean?

Is the first shock from the felt recoil from your rifle.
Is the second shock from seeing the bullet hit home but the animal runs off.
Is the third shock from losing the animal.

Or is it that it takes "three shocks" from three bullets to put the animal down.

Either one would apply in my opinion..

Sorry but it's lead cored bullets for me.

To me a clean kill means an animal is killed as quickly and humanely as possible without having to suffer in pain "waiting" to be put out of its misery.
THAT is the most paramount thing to me when I go hunting for a trophy animal. I make sure my bullet/cartridge combination will achieve and exceed that expectation.
Meat is of secondary importance to me in my quest for a trophy as in all of the cases I have experienced stag meat is not worth eating especially when it is in full rut as it is full of testosterone and other hormones which make the meat rank to eat.
How anyone can convince me that venison is tasty from a rutting stag sure has me wondering whether that person has in fact ever taken a stag and tried eating that meat..
Even my dog won't touch the meat from a rutting stag.
I only shoot three quarter grown does for meat and the stags for the trophy.
In both applications I use lead bullets for as near "an instant kill" as possible.

Last edited by ridge rider; 10-24-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I have harvested both a bull elk and a large muley buck with 165gr triple shocks out of my 30.06. My whole intention of buying these bullets so I knew that if I had a less than favorable angle or was shooting bone (shoulder) there would be sufficient penetration. The elk was shot at 260yds laying almost completely quartering away entering about 5 inches behind the right rib and exiting in front of the left shoulder. There was blood everywhere.

The mule deer i shot at 240 yds one shot low on the front shoulder exiting behind the far shoulder he went maybe 5 yards.

When hunting I try and shoot bone whenever given the chance. Thats the entire reasoning for buying this bullet.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

I agree that there are so many different opinions on Barnes bullets, good and bad. IT just makes me wonder why they came out with the tipped triple shocks if they didnt have expansion problems. I have also heard the Nosler Accubond stories of no expansion if you dont hit bone either. As for me I will stick with the time proven partitions from now on. I dont care about B.C. or the long shots. I care about dead right now performance at 300 yards or less.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

The only animal I ever lost while hunting with a firearm was hit with an Accubond bullet in the chest.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
I just arrived back from Wyoming on my Deer hunt and wanted to let everyone know my experience with Barnes TSX Bullets. I shot my deer with my remy Mountain rifle in 270 win loaded with a stout amount of 4350 and 140 gr TSX. I shot him at 171 yards through both lungs and he took off like he wasnt even hit. He ran 100 yards before falling over but flopped around and didnt die for a long time. When I gutted him out the hole in each of the lungs was a size of a pencel. I found the bullet in the off side and the bullet had no expansion what so ever. I couldnt beleive it. So to say that I will not ever use Barnes bullets again is an understatement. Avoid them like the plague. I am very dissapointed and am actually sending the bullet to barnes with a similar article. I will put of pics of the bullet once I have more time.
There are a lot of different experances with the TXS, some good and some bad.

My experances were mixed. (Some good and some bad) also. But out of this I realized
that what they needed was velocity (Lots of velocity).So when I pushed them hard
(3000+impact velocity) They worked reasonable well on thick skinned game. But on
thin skinned game like deer, again I had mixed results.

I have found that bonded core Bullets work better over a wide range of velocities and do
not need high velocities to perform consistently well.

The barns x and triple shock work well on dangerous game in weights of 350+grains and in
big bores. So they do have a place in my inventory of bullets, Just not in the smaller (338
and down) cal.

Again, I think all bullets will give less than desired results if not used for there design
purpose and velocity. Some bullets are just more forgiving than others. And the bonded
core design of bullets seem to be the most consistant.

I have said it many times. 'There is no golden bullet that will do everything' So you must
find a bullet designed for the intended use to get the best results.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
I agree that there are so many different opinions on Barnes bullets, good and bad. IT just makes me wonder why they came out with the tipped triple shocks if they didnt have expansion problems. I have also heard the Nosler Accubond stories of no expansion if you dont hit bone either. As for me I will stick with the time proven partitions from now on. I dont care about B.C. or the long shots. I care about dead right now performance at 300 yards or less.

Found some pictures of the bullet I was talking about in post #10. 225 Gr .338 TSX. Didn't hit solid bone (shoulder) Went behind the shoulder and passed through ribs.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

webs & Derek M both of you guys seem to share the very same opinions as I do, I shoot TSX, MRX & TTSX in all but a very few of the 12+ rifles I load for. Everything from a 22-243 to the 458 Lott: 4- 6mm's, 1-7mm, 2-30 cals, 358 STA, 338 RUM, 375 Ruger. In all of the big game kills I have made (most w/ the 30cals or 6mm), I have found impressive success when I aim to break bones with Barnes bullets, with the exception for the 458 I load light for caliber bullets to higher velocities & feel extremely confident that if I place the bullet where I know it works the best, one shot is all that is needed. In my experience "light for caliber" is the name of the game for Barnes. I honestly feel (my opinion/experiences only) the 160 TSX in a 7mm is on the heavy side especially for deer, if you want to break both shoulders of a broadside elk that's your bullet, I really don't feel it will reliably expand on thin skinned game, especially with a lung shot. Please don't feel like i'm defending Barnes, I'm just relaying to you fellas my experiences & trials to possibly help answer some of the questions that have come up. My go-to thin skinned game rifle is a Lazzeroni Patriot (30 cal short mag) with a 150 TSX, this rifle has the ability to push these pills to ~3500 +/- (I don't push'em quite that hard). This rifle is fairly new to me, but out of the 6-8 head of game I have taken with it ONE has left the "scene of the crash" because I didn't do my part, I pulled the shot.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with the lead core bullets out there, but I'm a Barnes guy Good shooting fellas!