Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Barnes triple shock disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barnes triple shock disappointment

300 ultra
I re read my post and it was more abrasive than I meant it to be, I can understand your pissed off ness and apologize.

I have had great luck on deer, elk, bear, antelope with barnes X and TTSX. The 25 caliber 80gr, 30 cal 180 & 165, 270 130 grain, but this year I used the 180 grain interbond in my Blaser R8, 300 win mag and the one animal I shot thru the shoulders, blowing up the heart and it exited dropped like I turned off the switch, now I didnt get an elk but I def want to try this round for cariou and elk next year.
I used 150 grain 30 caliber GMX's to kill 2 black bears and a wolf last year out of my 308, I think with the mono using less weight helps with expansion.

Does anyone have real world experiece with the berger hunting bullets, I was thinking of trying them next year on a bou and mtn goat hunt, but am so impressed with the interbond superformace I thought I might stick with those?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalebow View Post
Does anyone have real world experiece with the berger hunting bullets, I was thinking of trying them next year on a bou and mtn goat hunt, but am so impressed with the interbond superformace I thought I might stick with those?
I've killed quite a few whitetails in KY with the 150 Berger VLD from my 270, and one buck with my 308 and a 210 VLD. They work fine, even at close distances, less than 100 yards.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalebow View Post
300 ultra
I re read my post and it was more abrasive than I meant it to be, I can understand your pissed off ness and apologize.

I have had great luck on deer, elk, bear, antelope with barnes X and TTSX. The 25 caliber 80gr, 30 cal 180 & 165, 270 130 grain, but this year I used the 180 grain interbond in my Blaser R8, 300 win mag and the one animal I shot thru the shoulders, blowing up the heart and it exited dropped like I turned off the switch, now I didnt get an elk but I def want to try this round for cariou and elk next year.
I used 150 grain 30 caliber GMX's to kill 2 black bears and a wolf last year out of my 308, I think with the mono using less weight helps with expansion.

No worries Dale. Talk to me more about Caribou when you get a chance. I am looking into it for next year also.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Iam going with Jack Hume, he is the person to hunt with for Caribou in Quebec, he has numerous camps and will move you around, you can look at his site at Jack Hume Adventures................I cant wait, Sept 15th:-) I think Iam taking my 270 for this hunt.
D
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

Has anyone compared the TSX performance on deer, elk, or pigs with Hornady's GMX?

I have shot a hundreds of rounds of Barnes TSX in a couple of calibers while developing accurate loads and testing drop, etc. But I have not hunted with them yet. I am planning a pig hunt here in Calf. and will be depending on the 130gr TSX out of my 270. I have even considered the 85gr TSX out of the 243, considering how hard these bullets are supposed to be. A guide told me a 243 with TSX will punch through their shoulder and go deep just fine.

I also have some GMX on the shelf and am wondering if experience out there tells of better performance over the TSX.

Barnes seem to be the most expensive thing out there and hence "should" perform as good or better than the others. With the current bullet and primer hording that's going on, Barnes and Nosler are the ONLY bullets left on Cabellas or Scheels shelves in Reno. (no lead free zone up here either) Its weird to see all Hornady and Sierra bins empty in ALL calibers.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

Ive shot the Barnes TSX and TTSX out of 243, 270, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and have used them to take deer, elk, hogs, Nothing was lost, if you put the shot where it needs to be there is zero problems, they dont drop them in their tracks, well unless you break both shoulders, spined it or head shot it.
people make piss poor shots or spray and pray and hope they get something and when the animal runs off they blame the bullet.

Ive used the GMX in 308 for 2 canadian black bears and one wolf, worked just like the TSX, little cheaper and were accurate for me.

My favorite bullet thus far is the Hornady Inter Bonds in the superformance series but I will be using the 85 gr TSX in my 243 for goats in new mexico if that tells ya anything
Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot more whitetails than everything else combined, except groundhogs of course.

I tried the Barnes TSX bullets in a custom 7STW and found that lung shots imparted so little shock that the deer often just walked away like they weren't hit. Naturally, they didn't go far before piling up. I never recovered a single X bullet from a whitetail.

I also hunted with the 162 A-Max which killed faster and occasionally dropped them on the spot. IMO, they are an excellent choice for whitetail at any distance.

Lately I've been shooting the 180 Berger VLD from a custom 7WSM. So far I am very impressed with the terminal performance. Shoulder or frontal shots drop deer like rocks and they appear to die instantly.

Barnes bullets may be a better choice for larger/heavier game but I haven't had the opportunity to try and probably won't bother.

I'm currently working on a 338 RUM load for a fall moose hunt. I think I'll skip the fragile and mono-metal bullets and just go with the 250gr Accubond. The 300 Accubonds didn't shoot too bad but it seems like a bit of overkill.