Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

Barnes triple shock disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Barnes triple shock disappointment

I just arrived back from Wyoming on my Deer hunt and wanted to let everyone know my experience with Barnes TSX Bullets. I shot my deer with my remy Mountain rifle in 270 win loaded with a stout amount of 4350 and 140 gr TSX. I shot him at 171 yards through both lungs and he took off like he wasnt even hit. He ran 100 yards before falling over but flopped around and didnt die for a long time. When I gutted him out the hole in each of the lungs was a size of a pencel. I found the bullet in the off side and the bullet had no expansion what so ever. I couldnt beleive it. So to say that I will not ever use Barnes bullets again is an understatement. Avoid them like the plague. I am very dissapointed and am actually sending the bullet to barnes with a similar article. I will put of pics of the bullet once I have more time.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barnes triple shock disappointment

I'm done with them too . my experience with them sounds like yours . after I recovered a bullet and seen what it looked like I stopped using them here is a pic of mine . Jim

Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

WOW, you mean that a THE premium hunting bullet failed, maybe you need to try shooting the game length wise, you can do that with those bullets you know and it drops them like a sack of potatoes I quit TSX after having them turn of elk shoulders twice and a couple issues of them zipping though. Bottom line is you shoot any bullet enough you will have one do something weird no mater what bullet it is none are magic.

Jimbires, I've dug dozens of Barnes out of game I was cutting that looked like that, very common!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Good intel on the TSX. Thanks for posting.

I've not had any bad luck with them so far. I've killed quite a few mule deer and whitetails, black bears, and 1 pronghorn with various Barnes TSX and TTSX. Perfect results each time. Never recovered a bullet.

I'll keep using them until they disappoint me. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Last edited by Derek M.; 10-21-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Bronze Member

I have seen it many times over. It is very common at higher velocities to have the pedals break off and the rest just pencils through.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

I have yet to recover TSX from elk, deer and sheep and they generally drop in their tracks. I would like to know why these bullets fail when they do. I like the performance so far but I really like not having to worry about lead contamination in my meat.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

I have lung shot plenty of game with the TSX/TTSX and have not had a problem. However, I think the best outcomes are with bone shots, ie, shoulder. That's my preference. Interestingly, I recall a few deer collapsing rather quickly with quartering to shots where the bullet entered right at the thick of the front scapula. Legs buckle every time and they go straight down. Love it.