Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

745 PA Buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 AM
SPONSOR

Re: 745 PA Buck

Most of our spots we either pack in a portable shooting bench or build a rock table to shoot off of. Here is a photo of me and my good friend John standing at one of our locations with a rock table. We dry stacked these rocks a couple of years ago so we wouldn't have to carry a bench in anymore.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM
PUBLISHER

Kevin, that is really cool!

Someday I'd like to see it done. Is there good hunting of this type on public land. Is there a draw for non-residents? If so , odds?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-14-2008, 11:26 AM
SPONSOR

We've had pretty good success over the years with both bear and deer long range. It's all state owned public land. There is no draw (other than for a doe permit) it's all over the counter. Non-Resident fee is $101 and includes : small game, (1) fall turkey tag, (1) spring gobbler tag, and (1) buck tag. We now have a point restriction since 2002, there must be at least 3 points on one side for a legal buck. Would love to have you up some year Len.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM
PUBLISHER

Kevin, thanks for the offer. I really would like to try it one of these years. I have always been fascinated by the ability to shoot across those wide valleys. And the rang finding is so easy because the deer are up against a hillside...unlike trying to pick a deer out of a flat farm field on the same level.

Again, thank you!

How much fun is the game retrieval process?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:18 PM
SPONSOR

That's when the real work begins. Some of our deer drags are a couple miles, some are straight down to the road. Ranging isn't bad but sometimes the weather can play hell on a laser in the valleys. It's not all real easy, you have to stay with the deer while it's moving and changing yardage then wait for it to stop in a opening and be ready to shot at a moments notice. Sometimes it's fast and furious other times you can relax and really prepare for the shot. It's deffinately a team effort.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 12-14-2008, 03:34 PM
PUBLISHER

How effective has the newer 3 point rule been in growing the bucks?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 PM
SPONSOR

I really believe in letting the smaller bucks walk and this 3 point rule really seems to be working for seeing bigger more mature whitetails. The game commision did however about the same time really up the doe permits for our area and we deffinately see a decline in deer population compared to 15+ years ago. But we hunt pretty far back in the hills and most bush hunters won't travel 1-2 miles back in and then walk the side hills. We still see good numbers of deer compared to some other hunters I've talked to and the bucks we see are usually of good size. Just in 3 days of bear season before our deer season I filmed off of one hill over 25 different bucks. Come deer season we seen some of those bucks, but have also seen bucks that we didn't see before, along with a pretty fair amount of does. The snow deffinately helps for picking the deer out, without it I don't think I would have seen half the deer we did.

www.mcrifles.com