Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

650yd Whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

650yd Whitetail

Did a little deer hunting in S.D. this year at Thanksgiving while visiting the in-laws. Drew my first BlackHills tag this year, and living way down south from there, my father-in-law got some permission for me from a co-worker of his. My wife and I also had some west river tags, so we hunted there for the first couple of days. We saw some deer at 1050yds first thing in the morning, but hadn't shot this particular rifle that much and decided that I wasn't comfortable at that distance. My wife and I worked closer, only to have the buck I was watching give me the slip, or so I thought. After the deer that we could see left the area, I sat up in the snow and said to my wife that we should go check out another area. Sitting there, I decided to give one more glance over before we left. I picked up some movement and a closer look showed a buck and a doe. I ranged it at 600yds, which later I found was actually 650yds, but with the rolling hills, the rangefinder picked it up a little short. At the shot, my wife, whom was spotting for me, exclaimed "I think you got him! He jumped straight up in the air and kicked, just like the other one you shot did." (I had heart shot a buck 2 days before and it did the same thing). Anyways, about that time we saw the doe run back the way it had come from after running away with the buck, and this time she was alone. We packed up our stuff and headed up to were they had been standing when I shot. Good thing my wife was with me and she is pretty observant. I walked up a little too far off to the right of them and she kept telling me I was too far over. Sure enough, she walked right up on it. That was also a good thing, cause I was expecting to see some blood in the 8"or so of snow, and there wasn't a drop. When I dressed him out there was a long gash along the side of his heart that you could see into. Was shooting a friends rifle, a .505 Gibbs necked down to .375, shooting a 350gn SMK at 3000fps. Only thing I didn't like was the bullet poked a hole in and out, never expanding at all. Good thing it only ran 20yds.

Nice little 5x5.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 650yd Whitetail

Nice shot and nice deer! That sounds like quite a rifle. How much does it weigh and how was the recoil? Maybe some details on the components of the rifle and who did the gunsmithing?

NRA Life Member
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: 650yd Whitetail

Rifle has a Fischer brake on it and the recoil is pretty tame. The barrrel I think is 30", and was made by Danny Pedersen of Classic Barrel and Gunworks. Action is from Prairie Gunworks. Danny and Todd Wells of Wells Sports put the rifle together. She weighs in the neighborhood of 12lbs totally loaded and with a Mark 4 scope. As I had mentioned, the caliber is a .505 Gibbs necked down to .375. They call their version the .375 Wells Express. According to Todd, who has probably played with it the most, it is very accurate.