Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

357mag and a Muley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

357mag and a Muley

My goal this year was to get a decent Muley with my 357. I had pt down more than a few that where still kicking with it, but I had never once outright taken a deer with it. Not a real big deal except that it's a Herters Power Mag, They stopped making them in 67 IIRC, no scope or anything just the sights it's worn since it came from the manf. My Load is 158gr Hornady XTP and H110.

I caught him laying in the shade of some brush in a coulee, I was able to get within 50yrds before I ran out of cover. Once I could see him I still had to get him to stand up (and pray he didn't bolt), he co-operated nicely standing there giving me a slightly 1/4ing away shot. That one stitched is lungs, He jumped, turned strait away and went over the ridge. I knew he was hard hit and shouldn't go far so I waited a bit and peaked over the ridge he crossed and there he is about 30yrds looking back at me as if to say "you gonna get this over with or not?" #2 broke his neck
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
357mag and a Muley-1105131152.jpg  

357mag and a Muley-1203130853.jpg  

357mag and a Muley-1203130854.jpg  

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: 357mag and a Muley

That is a nice buck and a cool gun.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

I've hunted and taken deer with a 44 mag Ruger Redhawk. I know how much of a challenge it is. Well done sir, and nice shooting! Any deer taken with a revolver is hard work, and a trophy for sure.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

Congratulations. I killed mine a few years ago with mine too. With the right loads it will work.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Bronze Member

That's down right impressive! Way to go! And a dang nice buck to boot. I'd be ecstatic!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

I was pretty jazzed about it. Best part for me is that i used a revolver that's 4yrs older than I am. I guess rolling all those painted baseballs around at the range worked out.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe