Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Deer Hunting

123 gr Amax on Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

123 gr Amax on Deer

I've been shooting my .260 Rem for about 2 years and have great accuracy with the 123 gr Amx and Varget. I have a hunting spot this year with a potential for a 420yd shot on deer. Has anyone had any issues with the Amax on Deer? When I started in reloading for the 260 I was told by a few on this site the Amax will do fine on deer... Any Thoughts?

I included a pic of my target!! Its tough to see but he seems to be a good one.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
123 gr Amax on Deer-photo.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: 123 gr Amax on Deer

I use the Amax on deer. I have tried multiple (around 20) bullets. The accuracy and the resulting kills, are proof enough for me. If you are looking for a through and through shot, it's not the bullet for you. But, if you want the internals to be jelly and not have to trail the deer, it is for you.

As with all taking of game, shot placement/accuracy is #1. The AMAX provided me with the most accuracy. Allowing for the best shot placement.

I've read the previous posts on using this bullet to take game. Anywhere from they are perfect to they were the complete wrong answer. I just know that from my exeperience, they work very well.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

If you use the search bar top right corner using the same title as your thread you can find an older thread with lots of post mortem pictures of deer shot with this bullet.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

Supposedly the 123 SST will shoot exact same point of impact as the AMax so you could try those out and use them if it made you feel more comfortable. I'm just beginning load development with my 6.5 Creedmoor and the 123 AMax and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with them.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Bronze Member

I have now taken 2 Mule Deer, 1 Bull Elk and 1 Pronghorn using the Amax.

Mule Deer @ 400yrd complete pass through. Deer stood in his tracks for 4-5 sec before piling up.

Mule Deer @ 100yrd core passed through but jacket lodged under the opposite hide. Good fragmentation with lots of internal damage. Buck made it 20 yards despite being hit a little far back (lung and liver)

Bull Elk @ 300yrd 1st shot lacerated heart and large blood vessels and would have been fatal, 2nd shot was high in the shoulder and went through the scapula and stopped in the hide on the opposite side dropping the bull.

Pronghorn 300yrd complete pass through which really shredded the lungs. Ran about 50 yards at a dead sprint before dropping.

My buddy took his buck at 75 yards with a quartering away shot. Massive internal damage. Bullet did not exit. Buck ran about 50 yards before expiring.

Been a very reliable round for deer.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
123 gr Amax on Deer-p1020586.jpg   123 gr Amax on Deer-p1020605.jpg  

Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

Last year's mule deer and this season's antelope both taken with 120gr. A-Max in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both one-shot kills.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Bronze Member

Great stuff guys, Thank you. Im going with the 123 Amax in the 260.

Thanks for the Pics!! Nice Job!