Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

Sambar season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Sambar season

The 2009 Victorian sambar season continues to be a good one.

I just got back from a four day hike into a wilderness area with my brother. He managed to take his first deer and was very excited. I managed to take this heavy Sambar on the third day.

In freezing conditions, we hunted down low and I saw 8 sambar including three stags.

The second stag looked promising and was up on a high ridge over 400 yards away. With the steep angle it took me 15 minutes to get into a shooting possition where I could line him up. You can guess what happened then, he walked off into the scrub never to be seen again. I need to get myself a longer set of BiPod legs.

After that I walked up the valley another 500m and spotted this stag feeding unaware of my pressence, at range of only 8 to 10m. Not exactly long range but beggers can't be choosers so I took the shot and dropped it DRT.
I wish the pack out was as enjoyable as the hunt.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sambar season

Thats a cracker animal

Any of you Aussies interested in a swap hunt?, I would love to shoot a Sambar stag
Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

Mate very nice would have hated to have seen the good 1 .

Nice heavy and very even well done.

Still no word from Shane though
Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Gold Member

...'Bout time... been waiting days for the story !

Obviously you did not have time to factor the angle of shot and have time to go to the PDA hey ! Ten meters !..... Put you money into a Bayonet instead of the EDGE !

What are the stags measurements ? Very unusal shape for sure.

When you get your new gun there will be no 15 minutes to "get into position" at 400. Just dial and pull the trigger ! There will be no looking back ! MAybe try rocks under your legs next time. That can work too.

DUH
Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Hey DUH,
That bayonet idea may be worth thinking about

The stag I took was not scored, but measured at 28.5x28.5x31.5 with quite thick coronets and main beams.

The Bi-pod idea with the rocks might have worked but there were no large rocks in the area. Tried my back pack but still not enough elevation. Ended up down in a washout with the bi-pod legs strapped over a wet log with me under it. Not very comfortable but quite a stable field position.

I watched him for about 5 minutes with his arse pointing at me and no shoulder shot on offer. He then walked off into the scrub.

Now this stag can hide but his problem is that I now know where he lives!!!!

I was more than happy with the animal I ended up with which I think was a more interesting trophy anyway.

I will not be able to get back into this area for a while as I have to go and pack into my "good spot" next time. Promised my son a crack at a big one.

But when I do return I will either be fitted out with a 20" Bi-pod or have my EDGE! hey JAWZ.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulations, nice buck!!!
Good change of luck in minutes.
Would like to see more pictures of your trophy.

Last edited by HUAINAMACHERO; 07-24-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
The 2009 Victorian sambar season continues to be a good one.

I just got back from a four day hike into a wilderness area with my brother. He managed to take his first deer and was very excited. I managed to take this heavy Sambar on the third day.

In freezing conditions, we hunted down low and I saw 8 sambar including three stags.

The second stag looked promising and was up on a high ridge over 400 yards away. With the steep angle it took me 15 minutes to get into a shooting possition where I could line him up. You can guess what happened then, he walked off into the scrub never to be seen again. I need to get myself a longer set of BiPod legs.

After that I walked up the valley another 500m and spotted this stag feeding unaware of my pressence, at range of only 8 to 10m. Not exactly long range but beggers can't be choosers so I took the shot and dropped it DRT.
I wish the pack out was as enjoyable as the hunt.

found the forum as i am looking at the fine stag you took. I have done a lot of pig shooting in NSW but i have a burning desire to take a nice stag and buff to mount at home. Bruce