Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

'Large Caliber' Restrictions in Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 'Large Caliber' Restrictions in Australia

No Style, I respect your opinion but when you say "I'm not neccessarily against higher power rifles being somewhat 'controlled' (such as the police knowing who owns them, or perhaps having a genuine reason condition attached to their ownership)" I feeled compelled to at least let you know that IMHO I wouldn't have that mindset and give them one inch. Make every inch of restrictions they want to impose a battle.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
No Style, I respect your opinion but when you say "I'm not neccessarily against higher power rifles being somewhat 'controlled' (such as the police knowing who owns them, or perhaps having a genuine reason condition attached to their ownership)" I feeled compelled to at least let you know that IMHO I wouldn't have that mindset and give them one inch. Make every inch of restrictions they want to impose a battle.
Absolutely +1 Chas1, you poor guys are on the front lines of this crap! If it happens in Australia, sooner or later theyll tri it here too. Make em work for every fraction of every inch. It becomes an uncontrollable landslide if you start to slip. Good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-12-2010, 06:19 AM

I understand where your coming from, however the simple reality of the situation here is that adopting a hard line with no tolerance for moving from your point of view just as a matter of principle would achieve nothing, other than having other people write you off (correctly in my view) as a zealot, and ignoring you in the future.

I understand why say you would want to make them fight for every restriction/control since its not like your ever going to have that situation reversed and regain the ground. The problem is that adopting the hard line just gives the people with the 'ban everything' mentality more ammunition since they will happily label you as a crazed, trigger happy gun nut and the majority of the ill-informed public will swallow it...then you've just become 'that crazy guy that wants to shoot ducklings with an anti tank rifle' or some other suitably media savvy title.

What I want to see is proof that people are basing their decisions and/or legislation on evidence and facts. And for me, that applies to everything and cuts both ways, its a responsibility for myself to do the same. If the police have evidence that high power rifles have been used in a metric sh*tload of crimes then they're controls have validity in my view. However I'm not aware of any such crimes and I have seen no published figures or evidence. Heck I don't even know of any such crimes having occurred in the US where many states don't control the .50BMG and others. This would suggest to me that someone is freaking out about nothing more than their imagination.

Its in cases like this where people are running around making up laws/regulations and getting their knickers in a knot about 'what-if' scenarios that really annoys me, without consideration for the realities of the situation that they fear 'could happen'.

Last edited by No Style; 04-12-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

dont sweat it too much mate, i doubt the PTA for my "375 gibbs wildcat" will have any dramas being approved Nice the CT case doesnt have any SAAMI recognition

alot of what has been reported around the country is hear say chinese whispers.... most of it isnt true.

Even if they do impose "bazaar" restrictions (and i dont see how they can cover all bases), you could always get a 338edge AI instead of a lapua magnum, or a 375RUM AI instead of a 375CT etc etc etc. The weapons licensing people are basically admin staff, they do not have the knowledge to know the difference between rifle capabilities, everything is black and white to them. The grey areas are the best places to live

Last edited by groper; 04-12-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 AM

Yeah well there's always the hope that someone gets bored of pursuing it and the issue just fades away. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

Like I said, just pisses me off that the noisy activists that wouldn't know a fact if it kicked them in the face have so much legislative and political clout.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

No Style, I respect your opinion but, disagree. Here in the US whether we make the Libs fight for every inch of compromise or cave in we're still gonna be labeled as you say "crazed, trigger happy gun nut" So bottom line the anti's here only want one thing and that's to take away every citizens guns. Maybe it's different down under but, here there's no compromise. As the saying goes...Give them an inch and they'll want a yard, give them a yard and they'll want a mile. Not me.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Yeah fair call mate, each to their own

I see your point about the labeling, that happens all too often over here as well, no matter how much of a reasoned and evidence based argument you make, there's just no pleasing some people.

I just continue to hope (exactly why, I don't know) that these types are a loud minority, and that the quieter majority can be engaged with reasoned discussion on firearms and other issues. I admit though, it often feels like your beating your head against a wall just for the hell of it