Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

Just ordered my 338 EDGE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Just ordered my 338 EDGE

Congrats Mate,you wont have a problem with the vias brake, they work well! What's a bit of dust kick'n up anyway, all part of the fun.John will build you a great gun.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signature542 View Post
When I spoke to John nine months ago he had never heard of a .338 edge.

He was prepared to build it but he he did not have a reamer and wouldnt buy one for me as he said he wouldn't use it. So I had that extra expense.

Things must have changed......!

Mine is 2 weeks away from completion... Lawton match barrel is already reamed!

The Vias braked put me off also. You will need a V port , de type brake.. John wouldnt fit another type hence I didnt go ahead.

You seen the other brakes are lot harder to fit and need to be indexed precisley..

Its not just a matter of building a .308 on a Remy action..
I am buying a reamer for it which will stay in Giles shop for a while to see how much work it get's otherwise I will grab it back off him, I am hearing you with the brakes I am emailing company's flat out trying to get one with no reply, hopefully one will reply and I can get it down pronto,

as for the 308 on a =Remy I know it's a 338 EDGE on a Stiller
Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Email Shawn Carlock with your card details and address etc, and he will get one delivered to your door step in about a week or so.

Get the 1 inch 3 or 4 port.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Email Shawn Carlock with your card details and address etc, and he will get one delivered to your door step in about a week or so.

Get the 1 inch 3 or 4 port.
I shall get onto it thanks mate!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

Mate try here, http://www.shooters.com.au/search.as...rake&GO=Go&sc= if there is nothing you like PM me.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

Re brakes.

The holland is good and the size of the brake needs to be matched to the profile you chose to a point Not to big or small . The trick is to make a shoulder for it to fit snug and square. Hole diametre also needs to be very specific to the calibre for good accuracy and the smith may need to that on the lathe as well.

The Vias is easier to fit as it doesnt need to be as precise with the vent holes and they are bored to diamtre. They put up a bit of dust and thats the last thing you want over your rifle and optics!

These ported style brakes shouldn't really be removed all the time as they are indexed and timed perfectly.

Shawns work well and so do the Hollands.... If you order direct from Shawn don't forget to get your dies from him .. All the hard work has been done for you with these dies.

The Stiller would be very nice....

Shawn will have it all to you within 10 days...
John may not want to fit the other brakes as they require a bit more work.

Be good to compare accuracy amongst us Aussie hunters and who's build worked out the best. Just add dollars !

Whats John's build time like at the moment..?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

John's build time ATM is fairly quickly the only set back is getting the action from Stiller, I could have my rifle fairly soon if Stiller can get my action into the batch John already has ordered I would be expecting Jan-Feb Next year realistically.

It would be good to test these aussie EDGES one day all together make a day of it, I'm sure a few would jump at the opportunity, we could have a LRHOM range day at little river or something haha.

Or when the Buchan range opens up