Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

I'm in the Edge Aussie club

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: I'm in the Edge Aussie club

Hi Guys..

Another Edge is on its way.
I have left my Model 700 300 Ultra action at the gunsmith.
Specs so far .. (hopefully finished in 3 to 5 months)

388 Edge Standard with .370 neck

Remington 700 300 Rum action
Lawton 28 inch .338 match barrel stainless Sendero Profile Cut rifling
True action- full accuracy job cutting new threads etc.
V port Brake fron Nate on this forum (next size up from vaporiser)
Wyatts extended Mag Box
Seekins 20 Moa scope rail 8x40 screws retap receiver
Tactical bolt knob upgrade to existing bolt
gun kote baked finish.
B&C 700 BDL Varmint Vertical grip black with black stipple. 14.5 inches of pull option (#2096)
Remington spring and sear kit to update old style trigger to 1lb
Night Force 5. to 22 x50 in N/F rings
DE ACI combo (replaces rear N/F top ring)
Chamber and cut to suit 300gn Berger/ 300 smk.
Heavy duty recoil lug

Upgrades for later (wish list)

Manners stock and Jewell trigger.

I cant wait to get it... Then the Accumark will go in for an upgrade!

Last edited by signature542; 02-05-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds good Herb,

Its going to be a long 3 to 5 months waiting for that baby, but the wait will be worth it.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
I know I'm not an Aussie but Kiwis are close enough

I have had my Edge going for a couple of months now & have fired 200+ rounds

I'm very happy with it, I have made it light under 9.5 lbs.

30" Truflight 1-9 sendero profile 8 flute.
Rem 700 action.
McMillan Hunters Edge carbon stock.
Allen 3 port brake.
6.5-20x50 VX3.
Aluminium rail.
Warne rings.
As promised here are some photos
I put NF rings on her because they are lighter, Total finished weight is 9.5 lbs.

I shot that group last weekend, no need to say I was very happy, I only hope I can do it again

Last edited by Kiwi Greg; 02-11-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Pushed the wrong button
Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Well my Edge finally got its first Sambar. Very even and heavy for its size and it will be my first mount to hang off the wall. Shot was pretty close at 324m/354yards.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

MDP,
Well done. Sure is a nice Sambar. It will look great on your wall.

Can you give us a description of the hunt, bullet selection, load, bullet performance etc...........
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

I just ripped this off the post I put up on Ozdeer.
Once again I found myself on the long drive down to the Vic high country. After stocking up I arrived at camp just after lunchtime and set up camp ready for the first evenings glassing. The first arvo was fairly slow.I spent most of the time watching a fox hunting. In the end I saw five deer. One was a small stag or spiker and there was a large bodied animal which came out too late to make out any antlers. Next day the morning was uneventful and fog made it difficult but I saw nine deer in the arvo. There was a young 4 point stag but nothing decent showed up. Day three was fogged out in the morning but when I got to my favorite lookout at 3pm conditions were perfect and I had a good feeling about what might show its self. It was quite overcast and hardly a breath of wind.

I set up the swaros on the tripod and started glassing. Some hinds with a couple of young ones turned up as well as a spiker. I was trying get a bit of footage of the spiker trying unsuccessfully to get a look in with a hind. As I shut the camera it was a bit loud. I looked to my right and there was a hind staring at me from 400m. I remained still for about 10mins until it resumed feeding and I turned back to the six or seven deer on the other side of the river. Something spooked the deer a short time later and I wondered if they had scented me. I glanced down to the right again and saw a large dark shape out in the open. I swung the glasses around and sure enough it was a stag. It looked pretty good and I started shaking straight away. I was really annoyed about it and tried to calm my nerves as best I could. I ranged it at 324m and tried to get a good rest. Unfortunately the stag moved behind a tree and I had to relocate to get a clear shot. I didn't have as good a rest as I would have liked but tried to stop the shaking and took the shot.

I heard the thump of a solid hit but the deer ran off. I decided to give it till morning as I had a horror story from the year before after trying to find a deer in failing light. After a terrible nights sleep I eventually located where the deer was standing and started to look for a blood trail. After finding no blood and with tracks impossible to read I decided to just start walking in the direction that I though it had run. After walking about 100m and still finding no blood I was getting pretty worried when I spotted a hoof sticking up. What a relief. Its not a huge head but very beautiful with a little bit of over spread, ten inch bases and beams just shy of 24 inches. I caped it out and recovered as much meat as possible.

I am stoked with it for a first sambar stag and to make the trip even better I found three casts including a matching pair a couple of days later.

Load was 300SMK with 92gn of ADI's AR2217
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
As promised here are some photos
I put NF rings on her because they are lighter, Total finished weight is 9.5 lbs.

I shot that group last weekend, no need to say I was very happy, I only hope I can do it again
Holy smoke... What a group !

Neice shooting kiwi !

How do you find the spikes on the bipod vs the rubber feet ?

Cheers

DUH