Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

Hunting nz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Bronze Member

Hunting nz

G'day to all the NZ brothers out there, i have a couple of questions about hunting in NZ.......i live in NSW and was wondering what i have to do to hunt NZ.......i know taking my rifles there wont be a problem but what about locations to shoot ? Do i have to book thru a hunting company or is there land which is accessible to any hunters ? I have heard that anyone can hunt in the land through Arthers Pass etc ? Is this true ? Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Thanx......

Old 07-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Hunting nz

Once you are in NZ with your rifle you can hunt in any of the Department of Conservation (DoC) land by getting a permit. For Arthurs Pass any DoC office in Canterbury shouldbe able to issue the permit. There is no charge, but they do want to sight a firearms licence, not sure what you do there, show your aussie? or the import permit for your rifle.
Only problem with hunting on DoC land is animal numbers are variable and a bit of local knowledge goes a long way. Using a guide would be better, if you can afford it! Most guides in NZ hunt on private land although some will take you on to DoC land.
The DoC website has some good info for hunting around Canterbury

Hunting in the Canterbury region

Stu.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:44 AM

On the firearms licence as far as im aware you will have to get a temp licence for over here. thats good enough for doc permits. as for info and animal numbers have a look at fishnhunt forum and ask for some info. you should get some more help there. there are lists there as well for heli operators that DONT helihunt and guides that dont either
Old 07-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Bronze Member

How long do these processes take ? I only want to go for a week or two ?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 AM

the permit about 10 for them to print it off if you see them in person. look on the doc website for the offices emails addys and drop them a line asking.I am coming into NZ and want to bring my firearms with me/go hunting. What do I need to do? | New Zealand Police
go here for firearms licence details.

just please say you dont want to parttake in helihunting
Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Bronze Member

Thanx Heaps Striker...... The only Heli services I'll require in NZ is for snow boarding , please I want to hunt the real way, trekking along the ridges in search of Thar !! Can't wait, am really looking forward to getting there....... Hopefully early next year. I have a guy in my pistol course named Lloyd who is a Kiwi from Christchurch, he put me on to thar hunting

Last edited by .25MOA; 07-11-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

hey .25moa when are you coming over. i love tahr hunting and might be around to take you to some private land. depends though when your here.