Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

Greetings to All

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Greetings to All

Hi, i just signed up to this forum, and I'm xcited. hoping to find and share info on PRACTICAL LONG RANGE SHOOTING, I've put thosewords in upper case, not because i am shouting but to the point I want to share real experiences not some one elses fantasy!
At the moment I'm building my own rifle, ( by which i mean assembling components from various manufacturers). So far I have a McMillan A5 and Kreiger 32" Palma contour barrel in 9.5 twist for .338 Norma 165 grain jacketed hollow points. so far has cost almost 2500.00 australian dollars. Next is the action. This is where I would like input from all you guys and gal's. What do you think would be a great action for this special build?
Regards to all
Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Greetings to All

Welcome aboard.

Hopefully one of your down under mates will chime in on what actions are readily available locally.

What is the A-5 inletted for. If remmy, a remmy or a remmy clone would fit nicely. Just a thought.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Thank you for your reply. We are fortunate in australia that we are ableto purchase from USA easily. I was thinking of a Stiller .338 action, however i'm very open to other suggestions?
Fortunately there is no rush to complete this project as I have other firearms that are variously suited. .338 lapua Barrett conversion and a beautiful .308 Sako. The Sako i've used in Palma comps here, did not do so well, worse than I expected. What are you guy;s using for long distance target aquisition? I'm always interest in the other guys toys!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Rods,
Welcome to the site.

PM sent.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:26 AM

Thanks for your sharing information about long range practical shooting. I read it carefully.