Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Top cop issued with gun after credible threats - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Am I being unreasonable or does everyone else believe that this is unacceptable? Why should he have a right to carry a firearm off duty just because he is a police officer?

At my sister's uni there is a road referred to as 'rape road'. You just don't go there. If she applied for a permit to carry a firearm for self defence the police comissioner would probably laugh at her.

It just seems to imply that his life is worth more than everyone elses.

Please note: I am not having a go at the police of NSW. The brave men and women who serve on the frontline do a fantastic job and deserve our respect. It is just the bueracracy I have a problem with.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Any country that has given away their arms deserves what's coming. I don't think the commissioner should get a weapon if the rest of the population can't.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Laws are for the little people and plebs. We have the same thing here, where politically connected people, politicians, and the glitteratti can get carry permits in the big cities, but no one else can.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

No Not all.....

My staff have worked along side him on the road and he is a well decorated officer that has been knighted. I have met him and he is highly credible and not a mere paper pusher. He actually got wet and directed traffic at a major collision with some of my staff, which is unheard of for such a high ranking officer

If you were getting threats by a well known organised crime syndicate/ family linked to several confirmed under world killings I would also be carrying a firearm 24/7.

It is not uncommon for officers to carry firearms in Victoria if genuine threats have been made.

I dont think you fully understand what type of criminal we are dealing with here.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 PM

If you were getting threats by a well known organised crime syndicate/ family linked to several confirmed under world killings I would also be carrying a firearm 24/7.

Thats my problem. If I was getting credible threats I would NOT be permitted to carry a firearm because I am not a member of the Police force. My problem isn't that he is allowed to carry a firearm, it's that he is allowed to carry a firearm and no-one else is.

I think it's a case of all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

I see your point.. and then I don't..

Are you suggesting cops shouldnt be armed....? No special treatment...its been going on for as long as I've been an officer and thats 30 plus years..

Special Operation Group staff are armed 24/7 as they are on permanent call out.

Armed offender Squad detectives are armed up at times as well
Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Miller Outdoors

For all the talk of "equal rights" and "equal justice under the law", you simply have to realize that the ruling class consisting of bureaucrats, politicians, police, etc. are your superiors. They have government (a criminal gang in and of itself, with big guns) behind them - you and I are viewed as simple serfs, who, in their eyes, exist merely to continue laboring in order to send a good chunk of our income to these rulers for their pleasure.