Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand

DIY hunt for red stagg in NZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: DIY hunt for red stagg in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphil View Post
that is pretty cool! If I ever got the money to go down there I would rather shoot a wild one than a fenced in one. Tahr hunting looks awesome too! You gies shoot goats like ground squirrels down there dont you?
wilds the only way to go. Yea tahr are my favourite game animal. awesome scenery and hunting. yea in places there a real big problems with goats which means you can get heapsa long range practice in. not unusual to shoot 20-30 animals a day if you do your part behind the gun. awesome fun getting big tallies. defintly worth the trip to NZ we have alot of game species here and they are all easy/cheap to hunt.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Bronze Member

so if you can hunt everything year around do people shoot stag year around for sport or meat? is the meat always kept or how does that work there if there is no limit on how many you can shoot?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
so if you can hunt everything year around do people shoot stag year around for sport or meat? is the meat always kept or how does that work there if there is no limit on how many you can shoot?
Stags and all game in NZ is shot for sport/trophys and shot for meat and also shot purely for pest control. Some people will shoot animals just for pest control and leave them. this happens alot in rugged country with no access and the Goverment has shooters it employs to do this both on foot and from helicopters.
So yes there is alot of "wasted' meat and animals. the only thing that stops me from shooting a deer everyday is freezer space.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Thats kind of the drift I was catching from the reading ive done on New Zealand. So the game population is so dense that their considered pests?

One of These Days I will hopefully be able to make it down there. How do the North and South Islands compare as far as terrain and game population and public access?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thats kind of the drift I was catching from the reading ive done on New Zealand. So the game population is so dense that their considered pests?

One of These Days I will hopefully be able to make it down there. How do the North and South Islands compare as far as terrain and game population and public access?
It depends a lot on what area you are in. In the past yes the deer populations have been very high and the government has had to take action. But at the moment the deer numbers are sustainable in most areas and the govt doesn't do much control for deer. But the spend a lot of money on goats and possums and in areas pigs are a real problem.
The North Island is generally a lot more bush(very thick, like a jungle for people who haven't seen it.) style hunting and the South Island has more open country and some higher open tops tussock country. This is just a general over view.
Public access is easy in both islands and game populations are varied depending on local areas.

The south island has Tahr, Chamois and wapiti but the north island has sika, sambar and rusa.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds awesome. What's the weather like in March there?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Sounds awesome. What's the weather like in March there?
Still pretty warm in March. It is just the start of autumn. so you can expect cooler mornings and nights but it still warm during the day(around 20 degrees C)
New Zealands weather in general is very mild.